SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Relpicating FirstSpot settings on new install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Age82

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:24 am    
Post subject: Relpicating FirstSpot settings on new install

Hi Guys,

Firstly just want to say that I have been looking around at Wi-Fi hotspot software for around 4 weeks and used various trials and your FirstSpot software is by far the easiest and most logical software I have found. I was literally setup in under 10 minutes so well done.

Secondly I am currently setting up your software for a friend so I have downloaded and run the trial software from my home PC and manipluated all the settings needed for his business so I was wondering is there a way that I can copy these settings to his PC once I install the software on it? Is it a matter of copying the FirstSpot software folder to it once it is installed? This will make it alot easier as I have the software setup just how I need to run it on his PC.

Also will this be an issue if the network cards are different on this PC as it may be looking for certain network cards in your configuration?

After reading your software guide I can see there is a way to block certain websites but in the trial software it seems to only ask for actual IP addresses rather than website names?

Finally I was wondering is there a way you can set times that the Wi-Fi is available to ensure that nobody is using the wireless outside of business trading hours?

Again from what I have seen so far really nice work guys.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:51 am    
Post subject:

1) You cannot copy the folder directly. You need to use fsset.exe utility to export/import FirstSpot setting. Refer to chapter 5 -> Upgrade/Migration issues of firstspot_guide.pdf for more information

2) FirstSpot setup will setup your network cards correctly.

3) Currently, IP Block List only supports IP address but not domain name. For more information on web sites filtering, please refer to http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1095

4) You can use "time of day" user attribute. Just look for "recurring" under Configuration Manager -> Users and experiment with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:03 am    
Post subject: Group Users Settings

Thanks for the reply;

I am not using individual users as I am offering free wireless to my customers so I have simply created a group which they all login under.

I was able to replicate the install so it works fine however i did this last night and then after the trail installed I found that my system date was somehow set to the 4th Septembr 2010 and when I changed it back to the correct date under the config manager it says my trial has expired, is there a way I can reset the trial to set it bac to 30 days from the 31st August 2010?

Also i noticed that during the install I had to disable the Windows Firewall service, what steps can I take to secure the PC so I do not comprimise my internal networks. At the moment customers are given an IP Address of 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and my internal network is using a 192.168.20.xxx range but if a client tries to navigate to that 192.168.20.xxx IP address it lets them through?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 am    
Post subject:

There is no way to reset the trial date. Either you use the "wrong" date to perform the trial, or simply purchase the license since the paid license key doesn't have any date restriction.

I assume you share your broadband for your guest network and internal network. You can insert a router between FirstSpot and your internal network and try to enforce the blocking policy there. Like:

client -> FirstSpot -> router (block traffic that go to your internal network) -> internal network -> firewall -> Internet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: