SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Optimum Conditions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merlin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:45 am    
Post subject: Optimum Conditions

Does FirstSpot perform best under Windows 2000 Professional, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP?

Also, is FirstSpot compatible with the Alacritech 100x4 Quad-Port Server Accelerator? (http://www.alacritech.com/html/100x4.html)

For the basic $295 (non-pro version), would it be possible for to create a solution in which I put a 4 port network card into a Windows Server 2003 box, run FirstSpot, put an 8 port hub off of the 4 port network card, and then connect 8 wireless access points via ethernet to the ports on the 8 port hub. Let me know if i'm thinking off track.

Thanks,
Merlin Kauffman
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:22 am    
Post subject:

FirstSpot was heavily tested under Windows 2000 (Professional & Server) and Windows XP. They are also the platforms of choice for most of our customers.

As most of the server (network) accelerator cards offload the processing to the cards, this prevents FirstSpot from functioning normally. FirstSpot should work if you turn off those "offloading" processing featues.

To form the downstream visitor network, you can connect as many access points as you like to the hub; plus one connection from FirstSpot's private network card. Please remember to turns off all DHCP functions of your access points. This works very well even with the Standard Edition.

~ Patronsoft Limited ~

Last edited by kevin on Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:30 am    
Post subject:

Great, sounds good...
As far as turning off the DHCP functions of the access points are concerned -- do you mean turning off DHCP on the APs themselves, and have them let the FirstSpot box handle the DHCPD?

Does FirstSpot have bandwidth management options?

-Merlin
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:43 am    
Post subject:

Yes, FirstSpot has a built-in DHCP server. You should turn off DHCP on all your APs.

For bandwidth management, we are at the planning stage. Will keep you all posted once we've fixed a schedule.

~ Patronsoft Limited ~
Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:03 pm    
Post subject:

Karl,

If you're seriously trying to enter the captive portal market, and compete with vendors like [PRODUCT NAME DELETED BY FACILITATOR], and your posting this on message boards -- you'd better have a product to back it up.

Other implementations of Captive Portals (*INCLUDING ACCESS POINTS and RADIUS), such as [PRODUCT NAME DELETED BY FACILITATOR], have been out for a long time with bandwidth management, web based logon, etc.. It's a linux based operating system, so the system is theoretically free, but you pay $40 for the highest licencse. Much more attractive -- until you guys support bandwidth management.

Bandwidth management is crucial for you guys -- my company and I would love to use your product -- however, it's hard when we know that one single wireless user on kazaa could kill an entire network's bandwidth, that we're liable for. So, if you're seriously trying to get into this market and *make it*, i'd strongly suggest that you do a little bit more than just make a time schedule for the implementation of this crucial feature.

Thanks,
[Contact deleted]
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:08 pm    
Post subject:

Thank you for your candid and helpful suggestion.

We will re-assess the technical feasibilty for a quick implementation immediately in this few days. Hopefully we can give you an update soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:35 am    
Post subject: I agree

I must say that I agree with the above statement concerning bandwidth management. It is of a vital concern and is a major factor in determining courses of action when it comes to whether or not I will deploy my network.

Please consider is a much needed feature.
CyberiaWiFi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:58 am    
Post subject: Need Updates

I am VERY happy with firstpot, yet there are two things i would need to see asap if there's al ist for them to be put on. 1.) Intigrated paypal support for auto payments and account creation and 2.) Bandwidth management or quotas. This is just our first week with firspot (yes, we bought it gladly) and we have already a bandwidth issue with these stupid gamers that have been banned by every other isp wired and wireless, they destoryed our network today. theres no way to weed them out as yet. I know you guys have tons to do and i want you to know i am very happy so far, both with the product and with the response to my emails, etc. I would recomend it for sure, yet there are those two big issues for me.

Cheers!
Nick
cyberiachicago.com
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:30 am    
Post subject:

Bandwidth Throttling will be in 2.1. Send us a email at firstpost@patronsoft.com if you want to be a beta tester.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: