SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Network traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchamb2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:38 pm    
Post subject: Network traffic

I've noticed on my FirstSpot server that Windows is sporadically bringing up the Internet Connection Gateway (in Network Connections...my Actiontec DSL router) and that this results in about 10mb/hour of traffic passing between the gateway and the Public Interface.

When the gateway is *not* showing in Network Connections, then no traffic is passing.

I've scanned the server for spyware, and I've heightened the security on the router by stealthing all incoming ports except port 80, to no effect. I've also scanned for a rootkit, with no rootkit being found.

Is this something caused by FirstSpot? Is this something I should worry about?

Is there any way to turn on the Windows Firewall (turn on Internet Connection Sharing) with FirstSpot running?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:59 pm    
Post subject:

For some reason, Windows (especially XP) will bring up an extra icon when FirstSpot is started. As far as we know, this is really the same as your physical connection, but somehow a "mirror" icon is also created. I don't think you need to worry about this phenomenon.

No, you cannot start Windows Firewall. See http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1084 for details.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:46 pm    
Post subject: Network traffic

It's th Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client, and it can be removed as a Windows component. It comes up when the Network Setup Wizard is run and the user indicates that the Internet connection is through a gateway.

And the public interface card seems to have issues when over a terabyte of data has been exchanged between this device and the NIC (about a week's time).
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:32 am    
Post subject:

Thank you for the information.

Regarding the terabyte figure, is it your experience or it is specified in some technical document? Also, what exactly do you mean by "this device"?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:23 pm    
Post subject: Netork Traffic

It's when the packet count rolls past 999,999,999 packets that the network card becomes unstable. Takes about a week and a half for that to happen.

And "this device" is the gateway device - in my case, an Actiontec DSL router.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:36 pm    
Post subject:

FirstSpot driver does not bind to the Public side of the network card, so may be some issues with other driver?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:10 pm    
Post subject: Network Traffic

I didn't dig enough to find out *what* traffic is passing between the Internet Gateway Device and the Public Interface. The observation was that traffic was passing.

The Private Interface is not affected, but the Public Interface being spontaneously disabled due to data passing was the issue.

As long as it is no longer passing, that works for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: