SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Slip Printing to A4
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:18 pm    
Post subject:

Hi Dominic,
I have made those changes, restarted the server, but still no success. I really want to get this worked out, as Firstspot is the best app. I have seen for what I require.

Any more ideas? Very Happy

Thanks again.

P.S. Can you confirm what you mean by this:
Quote:
Once again, the fields Prefix, Slip Title and Slip Ending will no longer be referred when creating accounts using the operators Cafexxx. Please ignore them.

Do you mean, the webpage will still display the default text in those fields, but when you hit 'Save' the 'Coded' text will appear on the slips, or something else?

If so, I would really prefer the webpage to display the actual text that the slip will contain, as this would lead to confusion for end users otherwise.

I appreciate you help.
dominic
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:10 am    
Post subject:

Please describe what you've faced, or I couldn't further help you with only "no success".

Partly yes. The text will be saved everytime. However, FirstSpot does not save every text preference which every account has created. What we can do is to suggest this workaround such that the corresponding texts can always be printed on the slip for different Cafexxx accounts.
scottyp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:16 am    
Post subject:

Hi Dominic,
By 'No Success', I mean 'No change' - I went through the same login and slip printing/saving steps as I had previously described, but got the exact same errors, and still had no change to the text for the prefix, title and ending fields - either displayed or printed.

Quote:
Partly yes. The text will be saved everytime. However, FirstSpot does not save every text preference which every account has created

Sorry, I still am not sure about the above - it is a bit ambigious.

'The text will be saved every time' - where? - which text?

'However, Firstspot does not save every text preference which every account has created' - then which text preferences does it save, and where/how does it save them so I can change that, so that I can give the end-user a consistent easy to use process for creating bulk slips?

What I am trying to acheive here is to have the Bulk account page 'pre-populate' as many of the fields which will be the same each time a particular operator logs in, without them having to type in the same details over and over again, which never change for them every time they log in.

eg. If operator CafeOne logs in, they go straight to the 'Bulk Accounts' screen, where the
- prefix is ALREADY displaying as 'cafeone' (they don't type it - it's already been filled in by the software)
-the 'Middle Digit starts at' is already set to +1 greater than the previous bulk batches 'Middle Digit's End at'
-the 'Middle Digit's End at' is already set to +100 greater than the 'Starts at' value
- the 'Existing Plan' is ALREADY set to a plan I have previously setup(ie.15 minute plan)
- the Start and End Titles are displaying text on the webpage that matches the Operator Code (ie IF logged in as CafeOne, the Title says 'Welcome to Cafe One - NOT - 'Welcome to Cafe Two' etc.

I would like it to be like this so that it is a 3 step process for End-users to print slips - 1) Login to the config page, 2) End User only has to press the 'Save' button (no fields to change or edit, as they have already been filled correctly by the software and 3)print the slips - anything more, and they are bound to miss something and print a bad/incorrect batch of Slips.

Sorry to go on for so long, but I wanted to make clear what I am hoping to achieve.
dominic
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:07 am    
Post subject:

Please have a clear install of v5.1.6, download the following file:
http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/download/forum/2390/1.zip

Unzip the files to FirstSpot\cfgmgr, use the operator account CafeOne to perform bulk account creation to test if the error occurs again.

FirstSpot is designed to save the last changes from any operators in the Bulk Account tab. The above workaround has already tried to suit as many of your requirements as possible. You'll have to perform modifications yourself for your remaining ideas.
scottyp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:43 am    
Post subject:

No worries.
Thanks Dominic - I'll try the fresh install and let you know how I go.
scottyp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 am    
Post subject:

Hi Dominic.
Good news. Very Happy I got 'drastic' and re-installed my test-bed server from scratch. I had a USB HDD plugged into it during the original install, and the O/S partition for Windows ended up being e:\ not C:\.

Not sure if that was it, but now that I've re-installed W2k3 onto C:\ and installed 5.1.6 and the 1.zip file you sent me - it works! Woohoo! Very Happy

Thanks again for your help.

P.S. I have discovered that the core network my WAN provider has that I am going to run the system over does NOT allow DHCP pass through.

I am going to setup a 'mock' WAN with a few routers etc. here in my office, but may have a question or two in the next couple of days depending on how I go.

Am I correct in saying that there is a 'work-around' if you can't have 'DHCP pass-through' on your network?
dominic
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:09 am    
Post subject:

Seems it does not relate to the private network of FirstSpot, or do I misunderstand anything?

Could you describe a bit more, or give an example about your actual situation?
scottyp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:55 pm    
Post subject:

Hi Dominic,
Assuming you are talking about the DHCP issue, Here is a flowchart of the network:

Internet Connection router
I
I
Firstspot Server Public NIC
I
Firstspot server Private NIC
I
I
Router(s) On ISP WAN Network (No DHCP Forwarding)
I I I
I I I
I I I
Remote Site 1 Router Remote Site 2 Router Remote site 3 Router
I I I
I I I
Wireless Clients Wireless CLients Wireless Clients

So as you can see, because the ISP providing the WAN links out to the remote sites cannot 'pass-through' DHCP, the wireless clients cannot get an IP address from the FirstSpot server via DHCP. I imagine there are two solutions to this?

1) Fix the IP addresses of the wireless clients (Not Ideal?)
2) Use the DHCP service on the 'Remote site # Router', and then use static routes to get the packets back to the FirstSpot router, as the 'Gateway IP' on the Remote Routers won't be set to the FirstSpot server?

It's option 2 that I want to figure out (assuming that's possible?)

Cheers.
scottyp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:58 pm    
Post subject:

Bugger.... I just viewed the message, and the forum has filtered out all the spaces in my flow chart. It resembled and expanding tree, starting with one site at the top the ending up wider with 3 sites across the bottom. Crying or Very sad I hope you can 'imagine' what I was trying to represent there Dominic.
dominic
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:46 am    
Post subject:

It's okay. I get what you mean.

1) I don't know how to fix the the clients' IP addresses, or do you mean using fixed IP?

2) It should be possible. The gateway IPs on the Remote Site Routers point to the Routers on ISP WAN. The static routes could be set in the Routers on ISP WAN to relay the returning packets back to the correct Remote Site Routers.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:52 am    
Post subject:

More comment:

1) For fixed IP, yes it will work. Make sure :

i) you get the routing works correctly.
ii) all the NAT for the routers between client and FirstSpot must be turned off
iii) Also, you need to mimic the FirstSpot DHCP server behavior.

2) For all the routers between client and FirstSpot, if you can't get the DHCP relay (DHCP Forwarding) work correctly, yes you can use the DHCP server (service) within your the routers. Note that the above 3 conditions (i,ii,iii) still applies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:13 am    
Post subject:

Thanks Alan

I'll check out whether my ISP can comply with your points i) and ii)

As far as iii) is concerned - what sort of 'behaviour' of the Firstspot DHCP server should I be 'mimicing' in particular?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 am    
Post subject:

a) The IP and default gateway should be in the same subnet the edge router
b) The DNS should FirstSpot be Private Network Interface IP.
c) Optionally, the default DNS suffix should be "firstspot.org". Otherwise, Instant Keywords won't work.

You might want to setup a test environment with FirstSpot Multiple Network Segments enabled in order to test how FirstSpot DHCP server performs in conjunction with DHCP relay enabled router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: