SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

DNS client and server services in Windows SBS 2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiguelAG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:03 pm    
Post subject: DNS client and server services in Windows SBS 2003

Hello,

I would like to ask you if when you recommend to disable windows DNS service you refer to DNS Client as well as DNS Server services.

I am using Windows Small Windows Server 2003, which forces you to make your server a Domain Controller. Despite in fact it is a standalone machine, I do not know if it would be possible to stop DNS services (client and services) without causing problems to the machine (which has to be a domain controller). Do you have any recommendation on this?

Thank you very much and best regards,

MiguelAG
MiguelAG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:13 pm    
Post subject:

In pther words, I would like to ask you if a Windows Server 2003 which is a Domain Controler (DC) can run Firstspot since we have to disable the Windows DNS server.

Domain Controllers need an Active Directory aware DNS server, so we can find many issues when running Firstspot. Do you have any info or feedback on this?

Best regards,

MiguelAG
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:08 am    
Post subject:

Well, Domain Controller is not a requirement for FirstSpot. So you can simplify your configuration by disabling the Domain Controller.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:39 am    
Post subject: DNS client and server services in Windows SBS 2003

The thing is that Domain Controller in mandatory for Windows Small Business Server 2003.

We have experienced several operating system crashes of firstspot running on Windows SBS 2003 but we have not been able to diagnose the cause: no error messages in firstspot error log. Only Windows event viewer was showing continuous Active Directory and DNS related errors. >We wonder if these kind of recurrent errors could have been the hang cause at a certain point.

I wonder if any other firstspot customer is running it on windows SBS.

Thank you very much,

MiguelAG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: