SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

advantages to server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamergomer

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:30 pm    
Post subject: advantages to server?

I tried version 7 a few months ago when it first came out on a windows 7 pro 32bit machine. It was never stable.

So I'd like to try again and build a machine specifically for FirstSpot.

Is there any advantage to running server? Is it better to let a server be DHCP? What are the pros and cons of Radius?

If server is good, what versions are compatible? I see Server 2008 R2 mentioned, is there any version better if this is it's only job? What about SBS 2011?

Are there any network cards/chipsets that are specifically suggested?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:36 am    
Post subject:

The general idea is to keep your Windows as simple as possible. Try to install only Windows and SP for your initial trial. Also, use FirstSpot DHCP and DNS server as it is easier to setup that way.

For RADIUS, you should only need that if you already have a RADIUS directory. See http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1175

For Windows server OS, see http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2884 for more discussion.

For chipset, most of the network cards in a market should work fine. You can try Intel and Realtek as there are more users using them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: