SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

additional bugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rory conaway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:07 pm    
Post subject: additional bugs

When using MAC address authentication, some users get through without the main page. In addition, the system shows multiple users using the same MAC address or even users not showing up on the system at all.
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:02 am    
Post subject:

If you're using multiple network segment, you must use IP-based session handling if you're planning to authenticate each individual client machine correctly in all your subnets.

If you use MAC-based authentication with multiple network segment, the effect will be letting FirstSpot to recognise the whole subnet as a single user (because routers will drop MAC addresses of all client machines after routing and represent all their traffic by its own MAC). This may give you an impression that FirstSpot does not authenticate properly; which you may understand by now that it's not true.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:22 am    
Post subject:

I understand. I believe we can forward the MAC address though. I think there is a loss of security if you use IP-based session handling. Also, wouldn't you lose MAC address pass through?
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:18 am    
Post subject:

You can try putting a (software?) packet sniffer at the subnet of FirstSpot private interface and see if MAC addresses of your client machines can get passed-through. If so, FirstSpot should have no problem to authenticate.

Can you please confirm this for us? Also, can you advise us on the model of router you're using, which is capable of forwarding MAC addresses of machines behind?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:26 pm    
Post subject:

I'm not an expert on routing so I may be wrong on MAC address forwarding but I'll check. It would definitely explain why we saw the same MAC address on a bunch of users.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: