SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Why is there a problem when you use "yahoo.com" as

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:09 pm    
Post subject: Why is there a problem when you use "yahoo.com" as

I have a problem whenever anyone on my network, including myself, uses "yahoo.com" as the defualt web site thru. the internet explorer's options under general and "address". FirstSpot's signin will not appear unless I change the URL from the default "yahoo.com" to " msn.com", google.com","cnn.com","altavista.com" or whatever other url's there are, just not "yahoo.com". Is there some filter in FirstSpot that would cause this? If so can I change it? Is this problem only with me? Please advice.

Thanks
Gil
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:25 pm    
Post subject:

First, what is the exact FirstSpot version you are using?

So I assume you did not put yahoo.com in your Exception Free Websites list, right?

Do you have Yahoo Companion toolbar installed in your IE?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:46 pm    
Post subject: Why is there a problem when you use "yahoo.com" (c

my FirstSpot version is 3.0.1 . Yes, I have tried to included the url and ip address of "yahoo.com" (ip 216.109.118.68 and 216.109.117.204) on the "Exception Free Websites". However the issue is not that I wish to have "Yahoo.com" as a free website, the problem is that if someone were to have "yahoo.com" as their default website in their Internet Explorer browser, the FirstSpot signin windows does not come up at all. Instead all you would get is a "Server Not Found" screen and no website. You have to type in the address bar any other url except for "yahoo.com" to get the "Firstspot" sign in screen. Yahoo is the only one I have a problem with.

Also I do not have the "Yahoo Companion toolbar on my IE browser.
My IE version is 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2.rtm.040803-2158IC.

Thanks,
Gil
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:13 am    
Post subject:

We test yahoo.com again as IE home page, it works fine in our lab.

Note that if you first access a https page, you will see page not found error. Please test the followings:

1) clear your IE's cookie and all Temporary Internet files, and then try again

2) test the same case using Firefox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:33 pm    
Post subject: Why is there a problem when you use "yahoo.com" (c

Step I. I did the following in IE under tools then Internet Options -

1. Deleted Cookies
2. Deleted Files
3. Cleared History

And yes it worked. However I now know what what may be the cause, but will a prospective client that picks up my signal to use my services know? I still think this may be an issue but I will keep monitioring it.

Step II. I have downloaded Firefox ver. 1.0 and tested, here are the results. *

When I assigned the URL "www.yahoo.com" under the tools, options, general and location(s) in the Firefox browser, I got redirected to "http://news.bbc.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/front_page/rss091.xml". Also with an error message "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." and a list of what seems to be HTML coding. However once again I can use any other URL default, but "www.yahoo.com" and it works fine. Why only with Yahoo? And where can I clear the cookies with Firefox?

*Note: I finally got the default to work with Yahoo on "Firefox" by changing the defaulting to "blank", running the browser and then changing the default back to "www.yahoo.com". Maybe that's the way to clear the browser.

In any event, I still think that this maybe an issue with the way your program handles this perticluar site. I have asked my clients to clear their
IE's and all tested good afterwards. How can I get passed this issue when a new client recives my signal but has "www.yahoo.com" as a defult and gets a "No Server Found error"?
Craig Hastings

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:40 pm    
Post subject: yahoo problem

I have seen this problem happen when you have my.yahoo.com page set as your default with auto-logon set, however its not exactly consistant, in my case it was set to as the default page http://ca.my.yahoo.com it would report page not found.

However if it was set to http://my.yahoo.ca it would work fine!

I have seen this problem when yahoo sets the web browser to a default https://X.yahoo.com/blah/blah/blah.html or something like that. I have seen the page not found error in the above case with or without https but I am pretty sure its the secure cookie that caches the logon information.

I have seen this with more than just yahoo. when Secure autologons are used.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:40 am    
Post subject:

1) For IE case, we still cannot reproduce the case. But our guess is that it is related special yahoo.com login setting. Since after you clear the cookies, everything works fine.

A specific test case will definitely help here.

2) For Firefox, actually it is related to the way Firefox tries to obtain "Latest Headlines" before it goes to the "Home Page" (which in our opinion, is a bad design). Note that this problem is not related to assigning yahoo.com as Home Page at all (but you have to have a non-blank Home Page to trigger this error) and it only happens intermittenly.

The workaround is to add the following Free Domain Names in FirstSpot Exception Free Websites:

fxfeeds.mozilla.org
news.bbc.co.uk

Restart FirstSpot after you add the above Free Domain Names
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: