SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Wireless Security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:56 pm    
Post subject: Wireless Security

It seems to me that if I want customer self-signup, I can't have any wireless security (i.e. WEP, WPA, etc.) on my APs, since the customer would need to know the security settings for the wireless connection before they could actually connect. Is this the case? What can be done to appease paranoid customers once they sign up?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:53 am    
Post subject:

Somehow you have to pass the WEP key to the client via a third channel. I think this is a reasonable tradeoff between security and usability.

Our experience is that you don't want to put too much security in the Hotspot. If the clients don't understand, they just won't use it at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:04 pm    
Post subject:

KevinG,
If you want customers to sing up securely without the overhead of giving any WEP key to them, you can configure your Firstspot to enable SSL (Secure Socket Layer) login page.
Firstspot comes with its own self-signed SSL certificate and customers will have an encrypted communication when signing up the account.

Regards,

-Miguel Rosa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: