SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Frequent Restart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaycee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:19 am    
Post subject: Frequent Restart

I have been using firstspot advanced v3 for some weeks now. It works well except for some few occassional problems. It keeps restarting at intervals. Initially, it does that like once a day but its becoming more frequent these days that my clients now complain that they do login frequently than before.
I run FS with winXP SP2 and have the latest updates from microsoft site.

Secondly, if i configure some clients to pass through without login, the FS blocks the client entirely. What do I do about these problems?

Finally, what folder or file do I need to backup and restore in event of system crash.
Thanks.

Kaycee
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:30 am    
Post subject:

Sorry for the late reply. As you have a valid maintenanace contract, you can send support email to support@patronsoft.com to ensure a speedier response.

1) When you say restarting, does FirstSpot restart or Windows restart? Or the user just needs to relogin? Note that the idle timeout mechansim will disconnect user after a while.

Please send us you log files under FirstSpot\log subdirectory if you still have issues.

2) Client pass-through should work since many people are using it. Please make sure you restart FirstSpot after you add the client pass-through MAC address

3) Refer to chapter 5 of firstspot_guide.pdf. It explains how to export settings in case of upgrade/migration. Make sure you backup your customized PHP/HTML as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:28 am    

I believe its the Firstspot that triggers the Restart because it always happens whenever someone wants to login as I observed. I sent the log files to support@patronsoft.com.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:27 am    
Post subject:

We don't see anything strange in your log.

Can you send your Windows Event Application Log (as .evt file) to support@patronsoft.com? Please pinpoint the extact time that Windows reboot.

Also, you cannot disable idle timeout. The closest thing is to set it to a very large value.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:02 pm    

System Event log sent to support@patronsoft.com

Kaycee
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:12 am    
Post subject:

We analyze your event log. It is still not very conclusive. Please note the followings:

1) What is avgntdw (shown in the event log)? Looks like some kind of Anti-virus package. I suggest you uninstall it first since it's driver might intervene with FirstSpot. Also, is there any other driver installed? I suggest you uninstall them also.

2) Please check out http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762 . Do you have seti installed?

3) Can you reproduce the problem everytime user logs in? Or the problem happens intermittently?

4) You might want to change/update your Intel card network driver since some network driver is not compatible with our FirstHop driver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: