SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Internet Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:54 pm    
Post subject: Internet Connection

Hello,

I'm a new user to this forum and software. I will be trying to install the demo version, however the guide states that the internet connection has to go through PPPoE connections. At the moment I'm connected through PPPoA. Will this still work?

Cheers

Keith
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:35 am    
Post subject:

Hi Keith,

Likely not. Please consider putting an broadband router or similar devices in front of FirstSpot for its connecting to the Internet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:06 pm    
Post subject:

Hi Kevin,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your prompt response. Secondly, I've managed to get the trial version of firstspot 3.1.4 installed on a Win XP PC. My Network Topology is Client(Wireless) --> 3COM AP(Wireless Access Point) -->Private Network Adaptor(Win XP running Firstspot) --> Public Network Adaptor --> BroadBand Router.

All is working fine, however my internet connection is going through PPPoA and NOT PPPoE as the .pdfguide states. I'm still able to surf and collect emails etc.

Could you please advice on the difference between these two protocols?Does it affect the way billing takes place.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Keith
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:13 pm    
Post subject:

If you're referring to the protocol used in the broadband router, that's indiffereent. The PPPoE requirement only exists if you connect to the Internet using FirstSpot's machine directly to an ADSL modem (i.e. without going through other devices).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:12 pm    
Post subject:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the explaination - can you recommend a make and model of an AP that is able to connect an external high gain antenna for signal boost. If not, something of similar ilk. I need about 40 really decent AP's at resonable cost.

Its probably not your remit to advice about AP's but any inclination will be appreciated.

Cheers

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: