SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Browsing is slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saner66

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:32 pm    
Post subject: Browsing is slow

I am seeing a very sluggish response when browsing via FirstSpot. I have two questions:

1) I am using the trial version 3.1.4 that I downloaded aboout a month ago (I had a delay between stasrting the project and actual deployment) - might this have something to do with it? I get the box that says trial version unauthorized - connection will be terminated after 15 minutes.

2) Do you have some suggestions as to how to go about analyzing the situation?

I am anxious to purchase FirstSpot and get my hotspot up and running but first I need to figure out where the problem lies.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:37 am    
Post subject:

1) This is the normal limitation on the trial version. See http://www.patronsoft.com/firstspot/editions.html for more details. Note the trial version is valid for 1 month after you install.

2) Mostly like you have routing problem. Please try to:

- Start Routing and Remote Service manually as a test (shut it down before you want to start FirstSpot). Is there any error?
- Have you turn off NAT within FirstSpot? You might need to set return route in the router in the next hop
- Check your topology. Can your FirstSpot machine surf the Internet normally after you start FirstSpot?
- if it still has problem, try reinstall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:25 pm    
Post subject: DNS problem

I have made some progress since my last post. I think the issue is now with DNS.

Using nsLookup on the client PC produces a timeout. The PC running FirstSpot is fine. Does this indicate a FirstSpot configuration issues?
candido

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:24 pm    
Post subject:

Hello, i think i had the same problem,
i used the the dns ip of my provider instead of the routers one,
try it
sander735

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:13 pm    
Post subject: Using DNS of internet provider

Using the IP of the service provided rather than the router makes soem sense to me but I seem to trouble doing it. Here are some questions:

Does firstspot forward DNS requests and hid the actual DNS server from the client interface? If so where in firstspot does one set the DNS server to which requests are forwarded?

Here is what I would expect to work:
FirstSpot must be running a DHCP server in auto mode
Use 0.0.0.0 to have FirstSpot using parameters from the private interface.
What about NAT? On or Off??

How do I confirm the setting from the client end? Should nslookup work through FirstSpot?

Any all help is greatly appreciated. I expect that this is not really that complicated to get this working, but somehow it is eluding me.
candido

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:41 pm    
Post subject:

I insert the dns of my provider at the private interface NIC
the dhcp is patronsoft dhcp is set to manual, its started automatic by the dispatcher
nat is turned on

the client gets this information from dhcp:

your client should get the information from dhcp.
the IPs are in the range of your private interface

/////////////Use 0.0.0.0 to have FirstSpot using parameters from the private interface.

are you sure about that? it should be the public NIC

perhaps i dont understand you, im from germany ;)
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:45 am    
Post subject:

By default, FirstSpot DHCP server will hand out DNS server setting as itself to the client. For example, if the Private Network Interface IP is 10.20.7.1, the client's DNS server setting will be 10.20.7.1. FirstSpot has its own DNS relay server.

Note that FirstSpot obtains the "public" DNS server IP from the Public Network Interface DNS server setting. You can modify this behavior by changing the parameter "DNS server IP" under Dispatcher category within Configuration Manager.

Also, you can make FirstSpot DHCP server to hand out different DNS server setting to client. Just change it in the DHCP category within Configuration Manager.

Refer to chapter 3 of firstspot_guide.pdf for more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: