SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

firstspot.org persistent DNS suffix setting in CE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sesarto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:29 pm    
Post subject: firstspot.org persistent DNS suffix setting in CE

Hi,
after testing FirstSpot with both my laptop and PDA (PocketPC 2003) client at work, I went home back and I try to sync these laptop and PDA using ActiveSync over Wifi (no FirstSpot installation at home, nothing changed on laptop and PDA, only different IPs from home network DHCP).
Strange enough, the PDA cannot find the Netbios name of the laptop "soyuz", because it search for "soyuz.firstspot.org", and, surprise, it finds it at 64.202.167.129, which obviously it's not my laptop address!
The laptop pings itself at the right address with the Netbios name of "soyuz" and also ping the PDA using the right Netbios name.
But it can also ping "anything-you-write".firstspot.org...

Now, I cannot start any communication from PDA to laptop and so I miss wireless sync, which is really bad for me.

There's no place in the PocketPC interface where I could say that "firstspot.org" is no more my DNS suffix, but, also, and I can't even imagine how the simple fact of connecting to the web through your captive portal software from PocketPC IE could set this suffix in such a persistent way.

Please, help!

Regards,
Sergio Sartori
sesarto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:41 pm    
Post subject:

Fixed!

With a PocketPC editor I found a key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\PRISMNDS1\Parms\TCPIP\Domain

with a REG_SZ value of "firstspot.org".
After setting the value to blank and reset, now PDA works an sync.
Still can't understand how can be setted if I just used the PDA for browsing the Web...

Regards,
S.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:41 am    
Post subject:

FirstSpot DHCP server will hand out domain suffix firstspot.org, and looks like PocketPC will remember it unless you delete it explicitly.

We will try to fix the respond for firstspot.org domain so that it won't respond to any subdomain request. That way it should fix your Netbios problem.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:07 am    
Post subject:

The domain firstspot.org now won't respond to any subdomain request. You can retry the above scenario and the above problem shouldn't occur again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:43 am    
Post subject:

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: