SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Radius Server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbrovont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:52 am    
Post subject: Radius Server?

I was looking at the RADIUS options in FirstSpot - can FirstSpot function as a RADIUS server too? This would be _awesome_ if I could figure out how to use it, since all my APs and routers have radius support. If it could capture logins based on MAC address, and also authenticate internal traffic, that would just rock.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:31 am    
Post subject:

We briefly considered that in v4, but the RADIUS server feature did not make it in.

Note that FirstSpot really acts as RADIUS client (in RADIUS terminology, NAS) in the current RADIUS Authentication Mode. Our market assessment is there are already several established RADIUS servers in the market, so we probably won't want to compete in this market space.

Technically, we do think that it makes sense for FirstSpot to act as a RADIUS proxy. This is mainly for WPA/802.11i instead of the RAIDUS MAC-based filtering available in some AP/routers.

This is quite a complex subject, so your input is certainly welcomed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm    
Post subject: That makes sense

I was thinking it would be nice to have an integrated solution, so I could have one FirstSpot server maintaining the user login data for multiple private networks. For instance, if I set up a hotspot mesh in an apartment complex, and a coffee shop, and maybe a school across town, I would need a FirstSpot gateway for each network. But if FirstSpot could function as an authentication server like that, then I could do 2 things:

1) I could secure traffice within a mesh by MAC address,
but more conveniently,
2)I could set up all my seperate networks to authenticate to one of my FirstSpot servers, and keep all the clients billing information in one place, and wouldn't have to deal with setting up a seperate radius solution. I think if this functionality was offered as a plug in, I would definately pay extra for it.

Just my $.02 :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: