SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Running Multiple FirstSpot Servers...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SRoberts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:46 am    
Post subject: Running Multiple FirstSpot Servers...

Hi,

We've been running FirstSpot for a couple of years now using it primarily as an internal corporate hotspot service. It all works great btw :D

We've got to the stage now, however, where we'd like to extend the service and build some resilience/redundancy into our solution.

I understand that FirstSpot does not support clustering (in any of its guises) but my current thinking is to simply introduce a second independant FirstSpot server onto the same private network, but in different geographical locations (approx 200 metres) and let DHCP sort out where a wireless client gets its session served (based on DHCP handshake - first response for DHCP offer etc). Obviously each server would have its own unique pool for DHCP.

My thinking is that in the event that one of the servers should *die* client sessions to that server would be lost, but could be rectified by re-initiating the connection process at the client and getting a new DHCP offer and session from the remaining server.

I appreciate that there are a lot of variables that could affect this, but in principle does this "hold water" at least?

TIA
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: