SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Remote Access Points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OIFNET

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:37 pm    
Post subject: Remote Access Points

I am looking for a solution that I can use with the deployment of remote Wireless Access Points.

I have a few questions.

1. From what I have been able to understand from reading on this site, is that the remote client would connect to the Wireless signal and then obtain an IP address from the FS server, and that all of the clients internet ativities have to route through the FS server?

My remote sites will be using Satellite systems for the conection. What kind of latency issues are caused by all the users staying connected to the FS server while they use the internet?

2. Assuming that my understanding is correct with the users staying connected to the FS server while they use the internet.
Is there any way around this? I would like the remote router to use the FS server for authentication and billing but then release the client out to the internet without having to maintain a connection to the FS server.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:39 am    
Post subject:

1) To obtain IP remotely, you need to setup DHCP relay. Check out firstspot_guide.pdf for more details.

Note that the client PC doesn't really "connect" to the FirstSpot at all time. As long as FirstSpot is in the outgoing path (i.e. route through FirstSpot), everything will work correctly.

2) related to 1). Also, please check out http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=856 for more discussion on this subject.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: