SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

bandwith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:42 am    
Post subject: bandwith

what is the maximum of users (or bandwith) because all the traffic goes through the server. How does this influence the connection speed. Can you still have 10mbit traffic through the server, is it independent of the processor capacity?

And what is your adviced maximum of users per server running with firstspot.
Rens

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:31 pm    
Post subject:

Unfortunately I still haven't found an answer on my question.

Can somebody tell me if it is posibille to have (more than) 50 users at the same time at the Firstspot server?

Or is 20 persons the maximum of users? or...??
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:52 am    
Post subject:

50 users are definitely okay. We have customers which have much more than that.

Note that you need to properly size your machine's CPU & memory to support your operation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:49 am    
Post subject: Bandwith

I am looking to support 300 concurrent users. Do you have customers using your software for this? Do you have a document that I could use to size a server for this? Can I integrate a merchant account to your software so my end users would be redirected to the sign on page and then have a way to get to an online store to buy access?

Thanks
rconaway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:20 am    
Post subject:

We just installed version 4 in a site that has been running version 3 for over a year. We also have version 3 in a few other sites. We ran about 300 users on a single server simultaneously but login pages took forever. However, we also ran external DHCP and SQL servers to take the load off the primary server.

We installed version 4 2 days ago with internal the DHCP server and the internal database. The system has been running 90 users average for 2 days without a single incident and CPU utilization which would hit 60% with dual processor servers at 40-50 users, is now running at 11% on a single processor server 2.4GHz with 90 users. Memory usage hasn't even hit 256Mb yet and we have 2GB in this computer. That's half of what version 3 would use for the same load.

I suspect there were many fixes between version 3 and 4. We will now be updating every server we have out there to version 4. I'm thinking that with the changes made, 500 users on a dual processor computer is probably a reasonable limit and more if you break off DHCP and the database with some type of external server. I'm planning installations of up to 1000 simultaneous users based on this new information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: