SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

DHCP relay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:19 pm    
Post subject: DHCP relay

HI,

maybe I missed it somewhere, but I cant find it anywhere:
How can I setup a DHCP relay agent on the firstspot device?

Why do I have to put username/password when I go to 'logout'?

thanks,
Zoltan
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:27 pm    
Post subject:

When using Scenerio 3 - Centralized Network Topology (see chapter on Network Topologies in firstspot_guide.pdf) or sometimes also known as Multiple Network Segments, DHCP relay agent is needed within the router.

FirstSpot DHCP Server automatically supports DHCP request from DHCP relay agent, provided that if you setup the Multiple Network Segments setting correctly.

You need to type username/password when logout via Instant Keyword logout since Firstspot needs to know which username you want to sign off (unlike logout using InfoBox, FirstSpot lost track of the client information)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:44 pm    
Post subject:

What I would like to do is to have the DHCP servers at a central location and manage the IP scopes from there.

In our enviorment we cannot use the advanced edition's multiple network support, so it would be very nice if firstspot had DHCP relay feature.

Relay agent is part of W2000 server only, however it would significantly increases the price of one unit and I am not sure if it worked at all.

I don't know how it works exactly so I assume the followings:
At sign-on I supply my username and password so the device knows who is surfing. Since the tracking MAC address based I guess it creates a user - MAC address association. It knows my IP address, does a RARP or just check the DHCP server's client table for the MAC address.
When I go to logout why can it just do the reverse?
Hit logout button->check IP->check MAC address->check user/MAC address table-> logout user.

Thanks,
Zoltan
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:07 am    
Post subject:

1) let me clarify a bit more. FirstSpot DHCP server does support DHCP relay, but at the server level instead of at the agent level. Note that the relay agent will "stamp" an additional information known as "giaddr" to the DHCP client request so that the DHCP server will known which group of IP to hand out to the client. The whole architecture for DHCP relay is as follows:

clientPC->router(which supports DHCP relay agent)->FirstSpot (contains its own DHCP server which is DHCP relay aware. In other words, it can resolve requests from DHCP relay agent).

The alternative for you is to use the "static" FirstSpot DHCP server mode. You can define IP-to-MAC mapping there.

2) FirstSpot is a bit more complicated than that. Instead of checking the IP (which in turns find out the MAC), FirstSpot inspect the MAC address directly. This way it is a bit more secure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:07 pm    
Post subject:

Hi!

1: I can't more simple that this:
Is it possible that Firstspot will have DHCP relay agent service in the future?
Client -> Firstspot w/ realay agent -> router -> some other network -> router -> DHCP servers

2: Let's put aside what the mechanism behind it because that was not my point.
Once I authenticate myself the Firstspot device knows where the packets are coming from/which username they belong to. If I click on a Logout button it should (or would be great) sign me off with a confirmation page saying: Thank you Zoltan! You have used 12 minutes and you have 43 minutes left on your account.
If this method would failed for whatevcer reason then it would ask for username and password to make sure it signs off the right user.

I mean, I never have to put username/password when I log off from my windows/linux/AS400 etc. system.

Thanks,
Zoltan
zoltan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:10 pm    
Post subject:

Oh, don't be hard on my grammar :) I just read what I wrote
kevin
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:22 am    
Post subject:

Hello Zoltan,

1) Currently FirstSpot does not have a dhcp relay agent bundled. If that's a must to your deployment, write to us at firstspot@patronsoft.com and we can refer you to some shareware utilities we know that works well with FirstSpot.

2) The InfoxBox is actually doing what you're describing; users simply click on the logout button and get signed off without further delay. Please let us know your urgency and we can work out a plan to complement your requirement and schedule.

~ Patronsoft Limited ~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: