SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Attempting to build Neighborhood HotSpot. HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonHeart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:18 am    
Post subject: Attempting to build Neighborhood HotSpot. HELP

I have all the equipment needed,(i think), to build a neighborhood Hotspot.
all the equipment is D-Link 108Mbps.
I have a 17db gain Omni Ant ready to mount at 50ft fed by LMR-400 from a 1 watt BiAmp.
I just dont know how or which AP to use as a Control point.
Does it need to be fed from a PCI in the computer or from a AP controller like the DWL-2100AP.
my inhouse wfi is on a DWL-624 at 108Mbps. and all computers are connected via USB DWL-G132's.
I want to put up the HotSpot about 100yrds away from my house at one of my storage buildings.
Can you give me some ideas or is that part of your Business?

73 de/mike
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:34 am    
Post subject:

Well, we focus on providing the hotspot management software part. One of the nice thing about FirstSpot is that it will work with any AP.

Please check out http://www.patronsoft.com/firstspot/topologies.html for a typical network setup when using FirstSpot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:45 pm    
Post subject: A few tips...

I've been doing a similar thing here for about 2 years now... A few tips, use a lower DB antenna, something in the 10-12db range. Next thing, dlinks are nice in the home, but I've found that in a wisp environment, they don't quite cut it. Check out the Buffalo WHR-G54s, as well as the DD-WRT Patch for them. Nice little setups. Got a 5 Relay WDS setup going and it's been running smooth for 6 months now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: