SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

DHCP/subnets/routed network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:04 pm    
Post subject: DHCP/subnets/routed network

I am looking at a network layout which is routed - a mixture of 5GHz (for backhaul) and 2.4GHz APs. I am still to decide on the exact topology and equipment to be used, and also on the gateway solution.

The advice I have been given by a WISP (they don;t use First SPot) is that DHCP should be run from the APs rather than centrally (which I think is how FirstSpot works??) - this makes for a much more efficient network as opposed to having all 2.4GHz APs on the same channel.

Does the software support such a topology? i.e. a routed network with different subnets and DHCP controlled at each distributed hotspot?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:00 am    
Post subject:

Using FirstSpot DHCP server will work, provided that your routers support "DHCP relay".

Refer to firstspot_guide.pdf for details.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:27 am    
Post subject:

We are using Microsoft's DHCP server on the same machine that we run firstspot. We have no issues.
diegohabla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:45 am    
Post subject:

could you post a little explanation of your configuration mixing MS DHCP sever and Firstspot, i´m looking for something like that cause firstspot dhcp is crashing in last versions
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:59 am    
Post subject:

You just need to set FirstSpot DHCP server to Disabled and restart FirstSpot. You need to make sure the 3rd party DHCP server (e.g. Microsoft DHCP) is handing out IP correctly.

BTW, the current v4's DHCP server should be quite stable. Have you tried it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:12 am    
Post subject:

Yes I have, Alan, my problem know as i told you in other post is that some of my clients are getting the same ip, so windows xp is giving an error of duplicates ips on the network, i´ve experienced this problem since version 4.09. Any solution or why?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:19 am    
Post subject:

We did fix a DHCP problem in 4.0.11. Please check out http://patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=945 for details.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:23 am    
Post subject:

ok, but im actually using version 4.012...
so the bug is not fixed
Shadoza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:43 am    
Post subject:

I may be able to help with setting up Microsoft's DHCP service. We too are using a completely wireless system, with a point to point, point to multipoint, and a mesh network after that.

We are handing out Real IPs with microsoft's DHCP service. All we did was set up the DHCP service to hand those IPs out, and disabled FirstSpot's DHCP server. It isn't too hard to do, as long as you know what has to be done. Are you using NAT or are you issuing out Real IPs?

Also, what OS are you running? We are running Window's Server 2003.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:19 pm    
Post subject:

I think Microsoft DHCP server is only available in Windows server OS.

diegohabla, when the problem happens again, before you restart FirstSpot, please email me (firstspot@patronsoft.com) the following files under dhcp directory:

- CheckExpiration.txt
- dhcpservice.ini
- FreeIPList.txt
- trace.txt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: