SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Setup Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smyers1972

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:51 pm    
Post subject: Setup Question

I have a Dell Poweredge 850 Rack mount server with 1 gb ram on it with a Cisco 2006E WLAN Controller and 5 Cisco 1131ag LWAPP APs.

My convention floor is 194ft x 140 ft and I set up the 5 ap's in sort of a X configuration, 4 (1 on each corner) and 1 in the middle.

My hope is to be able to handle about 70 devices at the same time. I found that with Linksys Access Points that once I had about 30 or 40 people on, the wireless devices would start dropping from the network and when you try to connect again, it would stall on "Waiting for the network..." on the Client Side (XP Clients).

With having 5 Cisco Ap's and a WLAN Controller, are there anything else I need to take into effect in thinking this WLAN through? Am I missing anything?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, my hopes is to be able to handle a max of about 200 or so people at some point, but I think 70 for now is a realistic number with 5 AP's. They are all wired independently as well with exception to 1 of them which is hooked to another switch next to one of the corner AP's it feeds the second ap on it.

Thanks!
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:39 am    
Post subject:

Try http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1477

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:09 am    
Post subject: hi alan

Nope, thats not the question, what im meaning is, that with the 5 access points placed like they are could I handle (physically) this many clients?

I am sure that first spot can handle over 1000 in theory but what is the physical safe limitations per AP? I have the minimum association rate at 11 mbs with wireless a/b/g (a i THINK is 12).

Thanks though :)
Shadoza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:26 am    
Post subject:

smeyers, if i may offer a suggestion, there are only 3 non interfering channels available in the 802.11b/g range, is this the type of question you were refering to? or are you asking if that equipment can handle the load of the usage?
smyers1972

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:09 pm    
Post subject:

I think I am looking to know what will determine my physical capacity. At some point I think our hotel will shoot for hosting more and more people on our WiFi, I just dont want to get "caught with my pants down" situation I guess you could say.

I am sure I can add to capacity but I am yet still learning the ropes. A good SAFE general rule could also help.

I do have 5 Cisco 1131ag access points plus a wlan controller so I got away from linksys and went for enterprise :)

Thanks and I shall await your reply :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: