SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

FirstSpot settinf with ISA2004 Need Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fahedksa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:59 am    
Post subject: FirstSpot settinf with ISA2004 Need Help

Itry these software but its not work 100% with ISA, some times its statsus go Stopped ,even if i try start it again its refuse.
Can you help me in my setting.
My server is
Server 2003+SP1 Workgroup
ISA 2004+Sp1+Sp2+HotFix
DHCP ( I try also without DHCP)
DNS ( I try also without DHCP)
2Nic
DSL Nic1 192.168.1.110/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.1/No DNS
Internal Nic2 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0/Gateway None/Dns1 192.168.0.1/DNS2 None

Please i need your help if FirstSpot work with it its will be great
And is FirstSPot will affect on Cache option in ISA
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 am    
Post subject:

Well, you should put FirstSpot and ISA in two different machines. It is difficult to make them to work together in one PC and we don't really support it.

Please check out the article at http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1083 . It explains how to make FirstSpot to work with proxy like ISA (which is a common requirement for Saudi Arabia).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:43 pm    
Post subject:

Dear
Is there any way ii con but FirstSpot in same machine with ISA ,Becuase i have HP proliant DL server rack and its will cost too much to get another one to but FirstSpot in it.
Hope there is way for it
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 am    
Post subject:

Hum, it is theoretically possible but we haven't done enough test to verify this setup.

Why do you want to have 1 ISA with 1 FirstSpot in the same machine? Can you have several FirstSpot servers sharing 1 ISA? That way at least you only need 1 additional ISA.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:02 pm    
Post subject:

I have 1 server and i have to install ISA 2004 and FirstSPot on same machine .
Is there any hints i can try to make it work
dvpro2000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:22 pm    
Post subject: Solve ISA 2004 + Firstspot

The smartest thing you can do is to get to virtualization techniques.
We use the same HP proliant server and we can get up to 16 different server running on one machine.
We use VMWare software to perform with full fonctionalities of
- 2003 domain controler
- ISA 2004
- Datacenter
- Firstspot
- and more

Go to VMWare website to get a running demo.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:51 am    
Post subject:

We have successfully installed FirstSpot with ISA server in same machine. Please note that it is still probably a bit easier to setup and troubleshoot if you put FirstSpot and ISA in two different machines (or two different VM).

Here are the steps (make sure Microsoft DHCP server and Microsoft DNS server are NOT installed in your Windows server):

1) Setup ISA as Transparent Proxy according to instructions at http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1083 (fahedksa, so you want to forward all the web requests to a ISP proxy since you are from Saudi Arabia? Anyway, these steps are still valid even if you have normal direct Internet connection. Just ignore the 8-steps session that explains how to redirect all the requests to the ISP proxy)

To make things a bit easier to explain, please use the below setup:

NIC_A : IP:10.20.7.1 (yes, the FirstSpot default Private IP), subnet mask:255.255.255.0, DNS/Gateway:blank
NIC_B : your connection to the Internet

Make sure you put IP 10.20.7.1 in your ISA's local address table (LAT). You need to verify that the ISA is working 100% correctly as a transparent proxy. One way is to add a block site rule in the "Site and content rules" session as a test. E.g.

- Add block site rule
- set Destinations to "Selected destination set" (you need to define a destination set first. e.g. *.cnn.com)
- set Action -> Denied -> select "If HTTP request, redirect request to this URL" : http://www.yahoo.com

In this case, if you access cnn.com from the client, ISA Transparent Proxy will redirect you to www.yahoo.com

2) now ISA is working, you need to prepare the environment a bit before you install FirstSpot. More steps:

a) Install Microsoft Loopback Adapter (you can install Loopback from Control Panel -> Add Hardware, refer to Microsoft documentation for details) as NIC_C. Set the NIC_C IP as 10.20.8.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, DNS "same as DNS in NIC_B", leave gateway as blank
b) add 10.20.8.2 in your ISA's local address table (LAT)
c) install FirstSpot, pick NIC_A as Private Network Interface (hotspot side), and NIC_C as Public Network Interface (Internet side)
d) restart Windows

3) Assuming ISA is auto-start, start FirstSpot manually in Configuration Manager.

4) If everything is setup correctly, your client PC should be able to obtain IP from FirstSpot, and surf the Internet as usual!

Please give us feedback on whether the above setup is working correctly for your case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:04 pm    
Post subject:

Dear Alan,
Firstful am gretful for your support and help.
I try and foloow all steps in your reply and client can get IP but the problem the client cant browse any pages and he dont get login page.
If i stop FirstSpot the client can browse internet.
Where you think the problem?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:10 pm    
Post subject:

So does the client see the FirstSpot login page? Can you go through the test in http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1086 ?
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:36 am    
Post subject:

So is everything okay? Any update?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: