SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Allowing logon by MAC address?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:44 pm    
Post subject: Allowing logon by MAC address?

Hi, quick question, apologies for maybe not searching enough but thought a quick yes/no would be possible!

I have a piece of hardware that I need to always allow access to the network (VOIP box) but obviously it can't logon itself, so is there any way of permanently allowing it access maybe by MAC address? Or any other alternative way?

Many thanks in advance.
omega1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:51 pm    
Post subject:

by MAC address or by a fixed IP number would also be a valid option...

(the above post was me, but it didnt record my username)
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:16 am    
Post subject:

There are 2 ways:

1) Client pass-through
This will allow the client to pass-through completely. Note that this feature will not carry any of the user attributes.

2) Passive Login
This is a special kind of users and it will have all the user attributes (e.g. bandwidth throttling, data transfer quota).

Note that whether by IP or MAC is depended on the Session Handling setting. Refer to the manual firstspot_guide.pdf for detailed instructions to take advantage of the above features.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:20 am    
Post subject:

thank you for your reply, this is just what i was looking for. i notice that these features are only available in the advanced edition, is this correct?

as we are currently using the standard edition, we would have to upgrade, how easy is this process and could we install 'over' the standard edition and keep all the configuration 'uesrs, etc...' basically, how does the upgrade process work?

thanks again
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:36 pm    
Post subject:

Yes, both features are available in Advanced Edition only.

The upgrade (officially we use the term trade-up for Standard -> Advanced) is really easy. Once you make the payment, we will send you the Advanced Edition license key. The only thing you need is to restart FirstSpot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: