SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Users exceeding download quota, restricting P2P traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:22 pm    
Post subject: Users exceeding download quota, restricting P2P traffic

Hi,

I'm running FirstSpot version 4.0.12 and have a 300MB per day download limit in force for all users.
The problem is that a number of people are using P2P file-sharing programs that I believe aren't restricted by the quotas, such that I'm seeing accumulated downloads of well over 2GB for some users and I'm not seeing the corresponding emails to tell me they have paid for extra quota (they have to buy more quota)
How can I stop these people racking up such accumulations without having to pay for it? Really I'd like to block P2P altogether but I dont see any way of doing that thru FirstSpot. I've tried imposing bandwidth quotas to slow them down but that doesnt seem to have had any effect.
How does FirstSpot deal with P2P traffic?
I have admin staff who connect to the FirstSpot server via the internet and the constant P2P traffic is slowing them down.

Any ideas greatfully received!

Thanks,

Mark
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:23 am    
Post subject:

Your approach is correct. Data Transfer Quota and Bandwidth Throttling are the our recommended ways to deal is heavy P2P traffic. The above features should work fine as there are quite a bit of our customers are using them.

Your case requires more extensive analysis to your FirstSpot machine. Do you have a valid maintenance contract (which is our policy to do remote diagnosis)?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:43 am    
Post subject: Fixing the P2P issue

What I did on my network was created a simple port white list. Enable only ports 0-1000. Most P2P programs can't run proper without their own defualt port. This can be worked around, but if it does, then just enable all absolutely necessary ports... HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, POP3, SMTP... etc

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: