SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

DNS Failure Until AFTER Logging In...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRACSYSTEMS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:52 am    
Post subject: DNS Failure Until AFTER Logging In...

I am using the post-startup batch script feature to run a batch file that adds DNS entries to the firstspot.org.zone file. Here is the "trouble" that I am running into. It appears that unless I also change the time to live (TTL) settings in the firstspot.org.zone file, the new DNS entries never seem to get resolved. When I change the TTL setting (I have typically used 300 and 120 - 5 minutes and 2 minutes), I typically will be able to resolve names within a few minutes of logging on. I can not ever seem to resolve them though unless I log on (and have airtime to use), and then there is a few minute delay before they start to work.

My method of testing whether or not they work is by pinging the computer name and the computer ip. The direct IP will ping the entire time whether I am logged in or not and whether or not I have ever logged in. The computer name IP will only start working a few minutes after logon. I have used ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /displaydns and it doesn't seem to update initially. Even if I set the TTL very low (like 10 seconds) it still takes a few minutes before the DNS begins to work.

In summary, what can I do to push the DNS to the clients sooner, and preferably before logon. I am not opposed to creating a user account that has no air minutes and making the username and password public if logging in will get their computers to resolve the DNS immediately. Any ideas on why there is a multi-minute delay on the client end to start resolving the DNS entries?
TRACSYSTEMS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:36 pm    
Post subject:

Restarting the ICS BIND service with the batch file fixes this problem. Hope this helps someone. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: