SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Computer Crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccb00mer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:51 pm    
Post subject: Computer Crash

The computer we use to run Firstspot keeps crashing. How can we find out if it is Firstspot or something wrong with the PC? Also, if we get a new PC, how do we transfer our current installation and user database over to it? Our private NIC is PCI, so moving that as well won't be a problem.

Could we just do a clean install on the new PC, then copy over the entire firstpot directory from the old pc to the new pc, and pop in the old NIC?
cainpro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:06 am    
Post subject: Same Problem

I have tried different PC's but still have the same problem. The computer restarts at random. V3.12 of firstspot ran on this PC just fine. It did not start crashing until the upgrade to V4. I thought it might be due to my new network card because it was the only thing that changed, but I used my last key and it was not the problem. I have seen other posts with people saying that they are having this problem also. The only answer I have seen is "the client computer may have a virus." How can it crash the server? Thats not a good thing at all because if you have over 100 customers and 10 have viruses, it is very hard to track them down. Any other ideals on what may cause this besides P2P software or viruses?
I really need an answer to this because customers have to login constantly and are getting mad about it.
Thanks
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:41 am    
Post subject:

ccb00mer, our experience is that the best tools to test the stability of your hardware are prime95 and memtest86. If you can run the above programs for 1-2 hours without issues, your hardware is fine.

Note that the above programs do not test the stability of your network card. The easiest test for the network card is simply changing another one.

For upgrade/migration instructions, please check out chapter 5 of firstspot_guide.pdf for details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: