SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Dual Wan Router configuration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bustedshell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:32 pm    
Post subject: Dual Wan Router configuration

Ok i have my dual wan router from hawking technology fr24 ..
it is a DSL load balancer , i have it set to 10.20.7.1 my clients are set to 10.20.7.3-253 (DHCP) 10.20.7.2 should be my first spot server but my question is will first spot police a network that it is not controlling ie will first spot at the address 10.20.7.2 regulate my clients at 10.20.7.3-253?
bustedshell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:36 pm    
Post subject: OOps..

i forgot to say that in order to do this i would have to turn nat off ... therefore would i still need my direct internet connection to first spot and if not can i use it for something else ?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:56 am    
Post subject:

For FirstSpot to provide the usual hotspot management functions, it needs to sit between the client PC and your Internet access. In other words, the correct setup should be:

Client PC -> FirstSpot -> your dual wan router -> Internet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:43 pm    
Post subject:

yes but the dual wan router needs to have control over the client ips to work its an ip based device .. is there a way to make it so that first spot does not do nat at all ?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:58 am    
Post subject:

Yes, you can turn FirstSpot's NAT under the Dispatcher category of Configuration Manager.

Refer to chapter 3 of firstspot_guide.pdf for more information.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:53 pm    
Post subject: NAT

ok but the question that i am asking is how to setup first spot so that it is NOT a nat router and that the DHCP comes from my dual wan router ie MY clients are from 10.20.7.3-253 i want firstspot to police that subnet while NOT handleing nat or dhcp because my router does a much better job of that
bustedshell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:57 pm    
Post subject:

the thing is that the manual does not specify how to set first spot up to be just a controller and let the internet be handled by the router .. it also does not say what roll the wan interface would be doing in this situation because if first spot is not the wan router than why does it need a wan port so some simple instructions would be nice
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:38 am    
Post subject:

While you can turn off NAT within FirstSpot, the client cannot get IP from your WAN side (Internet side) router since FirstSpot DHCP server cannot act as a DHCP relay agent. Either you use FirstSpot DHCP server or you setup a DHCP server in the Hotspot side of the network segment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: