SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

broken resolver after uninstall for upgrade to firstspot4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:23 pm    
Post subject: broken resolver after uninstall for upgrade to firstspot4

After uinstalling FS3 (in prep for upgrade to FS4) I determined that the built-in windows server 2003 resolver is broken. For example, "ping localhost" fails with an error (yes, localhost is in the hosts file). However ping 127.0.0.1 works. Ping www.google.com fails, but if I look up an IP for google and ping by IP, it works. All apps that use the built-in resolver do not work on the server: Internet Explorer, telnet, ping, etc. However, because nslookup has its own resolver, I can use nslookup to resolve names.

I have tried uninstall/reinstall service packs, ipconfig int ip reset, ipconfig winsock reset, disable/re-enable adapters, repair adapter, reset dnsclient service, to no avail. I tried numerous searches on this forum, google, etc, but could not find anyone having a similar experience. I also tried lspfix but it did not detect any problems.

To summarize, the built-in "resolver" (the entity that converts hostnames to IPs) broke after uinstalling FS3 in windows server standard 2003. I currently am in the process of reinstalling the operating system to get past this, obviously not really happy with patronsoft right now.
steve123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:27 pm    
Post subject: Not a DNS problem

just to be clear this is NOT a DNS problem. Windows does not use DNS to look up its own host name, nor does it use DNS to look up 'localhost' (refer to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/technol/tcpipfund/tcpipfund_ch07.mspx , go to the section titled 'Windows Methods of Resolving Host Names' ). This is not a firewall problem, ICS is not on. RRAS was off, I turned it on to see if that made a difference.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:14 am    
Post subject:

Please check out http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:55 am    
Post subject: not DNS / active directory problem

Regarding the previous "helpful" link:

The problem was not related to DNS nor active directory -- this was a stand-alone server, not in a domain at all The problem was not the DNS domain name, again, name resolution of the local hostname and 'localhost' both failed. This problem began when I uninstalled FS v3 in prep for version 4 -- it was not the result of installing, but uninstalling.

Anyway, full reinstall of Windows fixed it and everything is back up, it just took a lot longer than I had. The server had run FS3 without incident for nearly 2 years, the only problem that we had up until this point was that FS3 would not start automatically upon reboot despite every attempt to make this happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: