SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Most stable OS Config?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsgriffin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:07 pm    
Post subject: Most stable OS Config?

Can anyone asnwer this for me?

For two months I have been trying to install and operate this software. I purchase a new motherboard (VIA) and am using a P4-3.2G with an Intel Pro 100s NIC. This system is not second rate and trash.

I started on a test config with XP Pro Sp2. Clean install. Nothing on it. It worked great in the test enviroment but fell apart and crashed constantly when plugged into a network comprised of Win 98, 2000, XP and vista.

I'm attempting to install this on a campus that has up to 100 users and perhaps 20 people at one time. We cleaned up all of the bad config in the machines to help eliminate others causing problems.

I've tried:
Win 2000 Pro SP1 and SP4
XP Pro SP1 and SP2 (with and without MS updates)

I've foreced the browser Domain to true.

What I've found in all configs is that the Computer Browser or Apache unexpectedly stop. I understand the browser services and have actually turned off file sharing all over the campus.

I've rebuilt the computer from scratch so many times I can't count. The config is clean and nothing but FirstSpot. What OS, NIC, and config has people found to be the most problem free. I can't install this in other campuses around the world that I will be traveling to unless it is stable and problem free!
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:55 am    
Post subject:

1) please try the restricted_redirect option. Refer to http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1402 and http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1518 for more information.

2) please refer to http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1892 for a workaround in the Apache problem.

Last edited by alan on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total
gsgriffin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:50 am    
Post subject: Still not perfect

Thanks for the reply. I've made the change to the restricted redirect. I still see that the Computer Browser service stops after about 5 minutes with an error. Checking MS website, the problem is due to the firewall service being disabled and using XP SP2. They have a hotfix but will only give it out by calling them and paying for the service.

Is there a known resolution or the dll that can be shared? The browser will not stay running and seems to effect FS at some point or another as a required dependency servcice.

Also, I found that in running 2000 Pro, the system was more stable, but user would never automatically log off after the time limit. I switched once again to XP Pro SP2, and they were auto logoff correctly for about 1 week, and then that service stopped working correctly. It's important that this works correctly in my situation.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:01 am    
Post subject:

As far as we know, the Computer Browser service shouldn't affect FirstSpot.

Can you try the soon-to-release v4.0.14 update to see whether it resolves your auto-logout issue? I will email you the download link.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:04 am    
Post subject: Computer Browser no effect?

That's funny. If I disable Computer Browser, FS won't even start. So it is only needed during the loading of FS and not once it is running?
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:42 am    
Post subject:

Please try to keep the Windows default setting as much as possible. While I understand you might want to disable some Windows services, it is just too many combinations for us to test.

If you want to disable Windows service, please do it one-by-one and observe your FirstSpot machine carefully for any issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:50 am    
Post subject: Understood

Yes. I understand the need to keep things simple. Unfortunately, the system is not working, and I can only assume that there are conflicts causing the system to fail. For me, it is shutting down silly services that provide no benefit and trying to observe is FS start working properly.

For example, right now the system will no automatically log people off with the inactivity limit. Any other posts you can send me to that might suggest a solution?
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:52 am    
Post subject:

Did you try the v4.0.14 I mentioned above?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:28 pm    
Post subject: Installed 4.014

Yes. I've installed the newer version, but there appears to be no change. When I rebuild the computer and put FS on and run it with just one or two clients, everything appears to work. After a few hours and 10 to 20 clients logged on, the system seems to develope a new behavior.

Clients at first were automatically logged off after the inactivity timeframe. Now, nobody is ever logged off. The feature only works for the first few hours of a newly rebuilt system. Perhaps after the first lockup and restart of the system this begin to happen. I usually can only get about 6 hours max before having to restart the computer.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: