SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Exception "free" websites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snobee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:27 pm    
Post subject: Exception "free" websites

Hi there,
I have a number of sites on our intranet that I have just noticed are not "free". I have added their domain names, and their ip addresses to the configuration, yet they are still using up bandwidth quota. I have also deleted them, and then re-added them. I did restart the FS server after this as well. I have noticed that the infobox does not report that I am surfing a free site when I go to these pages.

Any ideas?
snobee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:19 pm    
Post subject:

Just so we are on the correct wave length...

1. If I put these domains into the exception list:
domain1.com
domain2.someinfo.com
domain3.somemoreinfo.com

... it should allow anyone to surf to www.domain1.com or www.domain2.someinfo.com, etc, for free? Correct?

2. If I add an IP exception of:

... it should allow anyone to map on their computer those ip's, surf to them in their browser, etc., and neither should use up any bandwidth quota? Correct?
snobee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:31 pm    
Post subject:

Here is some more info...
I have noticed that if you are NOT logged into FS, you can surf the sites or map the ip addresses, etc, without a problem... which is good. There is NO effect on your quota.

When you are logged in, all the surfing and accessing of the "free" sites DOES effect your quota!
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:25 am    
Post subject:

This is by-design. The quota will start counting for all web sites once the user is logged in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:34 pm    
Post subject:

Ok... so why have a "free" site when it does count toward your bandwidth usage??? I have used nearly 4 different applications in the past year, and they all treat a free site as a free site, or at least allow you not to count bandwidth for certain sites! I use FS as it is the most stable and problem free when you get it going. Obviously you can do what you want to with your software, but I would think that there should be an option at least to bypass this (version 5 maybe?). So now people are being charged for free sites! People are paying for access, namely bandwidth usage, so if they are still charged for it, that doesn't really mean "free". I guess this is my misunderstanding of the guide :(
snobee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:38 pm    
Post subject:

I have never needed to use the multiple network segments section. If I had another gateway or route to the outside of the FS server, could I use the MNS section to tell all traffic destined for certain servers or ip addresses, to take another gateway instead?
snobee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:05 am    
Post subject:

Is that a yes or no to the previous question?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: