SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

IP-based access on accesspoints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erwinvanderslik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:51 pm    
Post subject: IP-based access on accesspoints

Hi there,

We have about 30 senao accespoints in our network which are hanging behind the Firstspot-server and who thus get an IP from the Firstspot DHCP-server. One of the things I still miss on the present v4 is a possibility to see which IP's are handed out to which clients. Something for v5?

Anyway, I have a seperate tool which normally works fine to find active IP-numbers. However when I enter an IP-number in my browser to enter the configurationpage of a certain accesspoint nothing happens while in the past (before Firstspot was there) this worked fine. Did I forget somthing in Firstspotserver to turn on?

Erwin van der Slik.
Adi Rotaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:51 pm    
Post subject: Try this

Check if you have "client isolation" enabled in FS. In that case , your AP get from DHCP sever an IP automatically and net mask like this : 255.255.255.255
You cannot access the AP's until you uncheck "client isolation" or you will set manually IP's for AP's with net-mask identically with station from where you want to control them.
It is the whorse scenario to let DHCP sever to asign IP's for AP's.
Imagine that a hacker which can set up one DHCP server in his computer , log onto one of your network AP and propagate his own DHCP "game" with all of your clients-users !
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:54 am    
Post subject:

Agree what Adi said. You shouldn't let AP obtain IP (LAN side) from any DHCP server.

The best way is to assign static IP for AP, and then include that IP in the FirstSpot DHCP server "Excluded IP" list. If Client Isolation is turned on, just assign IP and subnet mask manually in the client PC (to match the AP's IP and subnet mask), and you can then access the AP admin page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: