SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Problems with Vista
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 pm    
Post subject: Problems with Vista

Hello,

one of my customers can´t connect to firstspot. He´s using vista with ie7. The thing is he can´t even access the firstspot start page. The computer gets an ip from the dhcp server and i can also ping the fs server and a website and nslookup gives me thr right ip for a website too.

I´ve already tried to disable the protected mode and disabled ipv6 as mentioned in this thread: http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1640&highlight=vista

But nothing works.

When I try to connect to the firstspot startpage by typing it manually I´am getting an error message like this: unable to connect to the website because it is using a programm which is not installed on this computer.

Maybe there is an add-on for ie7 missing? The customer bought the computer a short time ago. And it has standard settings.

Any ideas? Thank you for your help

Marco
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:11 am    
Post subject:

So is the client PC using the method specified in http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1088 ? How about if he accesses a normal web site like yahoo.com (and let FirstSpot redirect it to the login page), is the error different?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:02 am    
Post subject:

I typed in a regular website like yahoo.com and the the starting page directly. The error is the same.

I´m using FS 4.0.13 Standard on an WinXP SP2 machine. Do you think with v5 it would be better?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 am    
Post subject:

We are not sure. But please install a v5 trial as a test against this problematic Vista client. We really want to find out more information about this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:42 am    
Post subject:

Is it sufficient to test it with the loopback adaptor? Is the v5 Beta2 stable enough to be run in an productive enviroment?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:49 am    
Post subject:

1) For this Vista test, yes you can install FirstSpot in a test machine with loopback adaptor as the Public Network Interface

2) I would think so as we already have customer running v5 beta 2. Of course, test it in your environment thoroughly first.
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:01 pm    
Post subject:

Any update for your test using FirstSpot v5 beta 2 with Vista client?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:10 pm    
Post subject:

We seem to be having the same problem. We are moving to version 5 asap and hope it goes away. We are getting an increasing amount of Vista calls.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:42 am    
Post subject:

We would love to solve the problem asap. But so far we can unable to reproduce the case within our lab. Again, any reproducible case or additional information are needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:38 am    
Post subject:

What we are seeing is windows Vista clients not redirecting even though they have a valid IP address handed out by FS DHCP. We usually give them a static IP and then let them through that way.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:43 am    
Post subject:

Thanks for the information. But can you reproduce the case in your office?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:30 am    
Post subject:

No. These clients are 300 miles away. Unless we are at the hotel when this happens, we can't get to the computers.
Marco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:43 am    
Post subject:

I'm the poster of the original message.
I had tested it with v5 beta 2 and had the same problem.
But I found out that the problem was caused by the proxy settings of IE7. So far as I can remember I set the Firstspot Loginpage as exception under Internetoptions/LAN settins/Proxy configuration. I also installed Firefox on the cleints machine and disabled the proxy settings and it worked fine without any problems.

Maybe this helps
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:18 pm    
Post subject:

Thank you very much Marco. At least one case proved to be not related to FirstSpot.

But the thing puzzles me is that : by default the proxy setting for IE7 on Vista is off. So did you change the proxy setting manually (which causes your initial problem)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:30 am    
Post subject:

I did not change the proxy settings. It was the laptop of one of our clients.
But when I tested it with v5 I used my own laptop for testing and created a new user and I also had problems with the standard settings of the IE7 related with the proxy.

My laptop is a WinXP SP2 machine with all recent patches. I tried with Firefox and I had no problems. But it's quite a lot of time so I can't remember exactly the circumstances. And at the moment I can't do any tests to reproduce this thing because our hotel is closed. But I will be back at work in about 3 weeks and I will try to reproduce it to tell you more about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: