SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Problems with users and quota limits...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlieWebb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:09 pm    
Post subject: Problems with users and quota limits...

I've been using firstspot 4.14 for a little while now but I'm having problems with the quota function. I've setup a plan with the following settings...
Expires after 30 Days
100MB quota per day

I have resetABW to run at midnight everyday.

My problem is, when the plan expires and the user pruchases the same plan again the quota says 200MB, and I've verified that firstspot does not block the user until he/she reaches 200mb.
What can I do?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:31 am    
Post subject:

Currently, FirstSpot is designed so that the Quota value is increment when user purchases through credit card.

Can you elaborate more on your actual scenario? We want to understand more on your business model and background.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:12 pm    
Post subject:

Well I have about 8 AP covering our small fishing town, I have a few hitting the harbor, and a few hitting the "touristy" spots and the rest are just killer high elevation locations. As a way to discourage superfluous downloads (as well as p2p software which I have most blocked via port blocking, but there are still some that work on port 80.) I have added quota limits along with date of expiration, this way I don't have to worry about hogging the bandwidth and irritating my other customers.

Another thought, It would be kinda neat if Firstspot had a Coupon Code function... You give out codes either by hand and can be used either once, unlimited times, and/or to specific users.

Say like in my situation I have 3 APs that are mounted on customer property and in compensation I give them a discount on internet cost, if I could give them a coupon code they could automatically have the price reduced instead of having me manually refund part of purchase.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:28 am    
Post subject:

If we change FirstSpot behavior to:

1) replace Quota instead of add

2) reset the user current data transfer value during the actual purchase. Note that this reset is not really necessary for you since you already run resetABW.exe everyday (in fact, this will add one extra reset for your case). But it is necessary for other cases since if the quota remains unchanged, we have to reset current data transfer value (otherwise, the user will get nothing for the purchase!)

Please comment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:26 pm    
Post subject:

If you can make a radio button option in the Plan creation that when purchased the plan will either add or replace to quota and a checkbox option to reset quota upon purchase.

That would take care of a lot of my worries.

One more thing, will I need two licenses in order to use the redundant server option?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:35 am    
Post subject:

We will make the following changes when user making credit card purchase for Quota in v5 final release:

1) replace Quota instead of add
2) reset the user current data transfer value during the actual purchase (this is optional and can be changed in a setting under Shopping Cart)

And yes, you need an extra license for Failover option.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:18 am    
Post subject:

That's great, I will definantly purchase an upgrade as soon as the final is released.

Another thought I had last night, how about a daily summary email...

Every day at a set time, firstspot emails specific operators/administrators a summary of the entire days events: New users, new purchases, # of logins, seperate/combined bandwidth usage... etc.

Thanks for all the effort,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: