SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

WiFi client always passthrough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clefranc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:47 pm    
Post subject: WiFi client always passthrough

Hi all,
I've installed FirstSpot successfully. Tested it with computer connected directly (crossover cable). The test computer can't access Web sites without authentication (login page). When connecting the AP, no more login page, wifi clients have direct access to Internet. Any idea?

Christian
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:21 am    
Post subject:

I suspect you use the WAN port of your AP, which will make your AP acts as a router (instead of bridge). As a router will hide all the client MAC, once you have one client PC login, it will allow all other clients to get access.

The correct way is to make sure you use LAN port of your AP to connect to FirstSpot Private Network Interface side. Make sure you turn off DHCP server for your AP too. Refer to chapter 2 of firstspot_guide.pdf for more information.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:06 am    
Post subject:

Hi Alan,
I was using an old Cisco AP, with tons of configuration inside it. I was using the only port available on the device, pretty sure it is LAN. I've just replaced it with a cheap USRobotics USR5451 AP and now Firstspot is running as expected. I don't have the time nor the ressources to investigate the problem, so I'll stick with the USR5451 and add some extenders. I'm very impress with your software and plan to purchase a license before the end of the 1 month trial. My only concern is that you'll release v6 soon and I'll need to pay almost $400 more to get it.

Thanks for the advice,
Christian
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:29 am    
Post subject:

Don't worry, FirstSpot v6 is still quite some time away.

Also, you might consider our maintenance option, which will give you timely official support plus upgrade protection. See http://www.patronsoft.com/firstspot/buy_now.html for details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: