SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Retrieve password by email

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clefranc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:45 pm    
Post subject: Retrieve password by email

Hi,
I've replaced the encrypt_pwd.exe by my own version so that passwords are stored uncrypted in MySQL database. I've also added an input box labeled "email" to the self signup form using the extra information fields feature.

Is it complicated to add a php form so that a self signup user can retrieve his password (and perhaps username) by supplying his email address (via a link in the login_form.php or an Instant Keywords)? Can you write such codes?

Christian
---
FirstSpot v5.1.0 | MySQL v4.1.22 | Windows 2003 R2 SP2
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:37 am    
Post subject:

It should be quite straightforward. Sorry, but you need to customize this part from your side.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:03 pm    
Post subject: Options

If you haven't figured this one out and are not able to, you may be able to find people that can do this for you. There are some that have added thousands of lines of code in order to add lots of functionality to the FirstSpot. ;) They may not do it for free, but this custom code could be useful for others too. It is a common function on sites that require a password and would be a great feature for FS to add, but since there appears to be no desire to do that, we can do it ourselves.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:07 am    
Post subject:

I've done it last week. In my solution, the integration of this functionality to FS necessitated addition of a new "email" field to the "fsusr"'s table, some modifications to existing PHP code and creation of new PHP files. PEAR's email function need to be installed as well. I've also added "firstname" and "lastname" to "fsusr", modified the USERS category so I can modify these new 3 user attributes while creating/editing a new user.

Before that some other enthusiastics immerse themselves into a project like this, note that is it only possible to retreive your password by email if the mail server is an exception free IP address (you can display the password using the browser, but it's not advisable). In my case, as ISP, my WiFi service is a complement to my wired one. Hotmail or Yahoo can be freed, it's a personal/business choice.

Right now, I'm modifying/creating a new print applet. The one from FS is not at my taste, too restrictive and incomplete. I think I'll add a new "fromplan" field when creating bulk users, so i'll be able to print the correct plan in my slip.

It will be interesting to see a new forum here for customizations. But I doubt PatronSoft are going to do it, they will lost control and support will be more difficult. Perhaps someone will start a Wiki...

Christian
---
gsgriffin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:47 am    
Post subject: New fields in table?

It looks like you put time into this. Before I start something, I would like to know what you discovered and what drove your decisions:
1) Why did you create a new table field (which will have to be recreated if a reinstall is ever needed or replication somewhere else) as opposed to using the required extra information fields already in the table and just attaching your scripts to that field? I made the required truly required and unavoidable by forcing that info page to come up until it is completed and not allowing logout until it is completed.
2) Why did you install a PEAR email solution? There is a simple PHP email script that allows for sending email without SMTP and replaces mail(). Minimal load for this kind of application.

Thanks for going ahead on this and then providing some info back to others. Your idea about an outside forum for discussion of "add-ons" is great. Do it! I would hope that won't offend the FS guys, but I can also imagine the problems coming in their support. If add-ons start flying around all over and people begin to mix and match different ones, the headache will come! I don't think I will ever add anyone elses, but perhaps there can be at least a lessons-learned and approaches to solutions posted.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:21 am    
Post subject:

Greg,
1) I've started using the optional "signupXX" fields, but soon discovered that this implementation was far from straighforward. I had in mind the possibility to modify these new user attributes in USERS category, so I've created them right away, anticipating compatibility problems. Using custom database fields is more complicated, I admit it, but it is also more powerfull. Instead of rewriting and messing up codes already tied to "signupXX", I've added my own files, codes and functions, making readability of the new codes more clear.

Unaltering original codes should also be your goal, because when you need support here (I mean from Patronsoft), you must have the same base to begin with.

2) The mail() function included with stock PHP does not support SMTP authentication needed by my mail server.

Like I've stated in the OP, you need unencrypted password available in your database. I've not explored the original password scripts, so I don't know if you can remove it easily. Replacing the encrypter is far more easy and avoids lots of problems. I don't see the necessity of encrypted passwords, and like you know, CSV files are automatically generated while creating bulk accounts, exposing clear passwords anyway. IMHO, Patronsoft should supply this alternative command line application, I've done it in 5 min with Visual Basic 2008 Express and few lines of code.

Christian
---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: