SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

SSL, Here it comes again... Help from anyone who uses SSL...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dracomaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:47 pm    
Post subject: SSL, Here it comes again... Help from anyone who uses SSL...

I was wondering if ANYONE has had any success with using a legit SSL certificate on Firstspot. If so, please let me know what company you used. I usually use Godaddy, for my SSL needs, but they no longer accept private IP addresses in the CSR.

I know Patronsoft has little support for this subject, so I'm reaching out everyone else who may have used it. Are there any success stories, please let me know.

Thanks in advance...

Jairus Knudsen
gsgriffin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:59 am    
Post subject: Question

A good question might be expanded by telling us what you are trying to do. There are often more than one way to solve a problem and SSL may be only one. Are you sure it has to be SSL with a cert? What is it your want to accomplish with that?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:23 pm    
Post subject:

I would like to have logins encrypted, but I don't want any "SSL Invalid" nag screens scaring away customers.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:47 am    
Post subject:

So if we change login page URL to domain name instead of IP (e.g. https://firstspot.org/... ), it should be easier so you to obtain a 3rd party CA cert?

BTW, I think there are other cert vendors that accept IP. Just have to dig it out.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:05 am    
Post subject:

Yes I think that would do it, but I would like to be able to set the domain name to one of the names I've already registered. Then I could just set the DNS to point to it.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:19 am    
Post subject:

One question, from your experience can you obtain cert for domain name that you did not own?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:28 pm    
Post subject:

Well the impression I got was that as long as the domain name is not "suspicious" they'll create it. (I tried to create a SSL for a domain with the word "fidelity" in it which threw up a bunch of red flags.) And come to think of it, I had an SSL certificate created by TurboSSL for a domain hosted by a completely different company, there was no ownership confirmation. I'm not sure if it is like this for all SSL Companies, but it seems to be for GoDaddy and TurboSSL.

If it comes down to supporting one company or the other, I would HIGHLY reccomend pushing for GoDaddy, at 29.95 a Year, it's the most economical option.
dracomaster

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:03 am    
Post subject:

so are there going to be anything done to implement this or is just a nice "What if..." thought?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: