SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Levels of Users?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
durgadas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:41 pm    
Post subject: Levels of Users?

Hi. I am designing a wireless (wired for their business) network for a small cabin resort here, and I am recommending that we use your product.

Since cost was a concern to them- $900 for the advanced version- I need to be able to be sure we can do what we want if I convince them to order it.

Here is what I need to do, and I cannot figure out from the literature I have whether or not it can be done. While many things imply that I CAN do what I want, I need to know more explicitly, as the devil is in the details here.

We want to have some levels of users as follows:
1) Free, but low bandwidth and capped quota usage to, say 5-8mb. Basically, similar to a dial-up or slightly faster connection to check email for everyone (8 cabins at the moment)
2) Faster bandwidth and still capped usage (since we have a satellite which is already capped to a total of 475MB per rolling 24 hours) for people who want more bandwidth and are willing to pay us for it.
3) Business wireless/wired use (certain machines can connect and use bandwidth in an unlimited way anywhere on the network) without usage tracking.

There may be a fourth segment in there for paying users who want unlimited bandwidth (as much as the satellite will give us) in between 2 and 3, depending.

We need this information to justify the costs of purchasing the hardware and software required here, which means a used machine with 2 network cards, the software, the wireless routers, and extra CAT 5 cabling to get us to the different cabins.

Also, I am not sure about usage charges in the above scenario as far as what is normal usage charges in a cyber-cafe arrangement. Kindly let me know anything you feel might be helpful, as this is my first captive portal setup, even though I have set up many wireless networks.

Thanks,
Regis Chapman
Shinneyboo Creek Cabin Resort
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 am    
Post subject:

You need to create several Plans (which is really a template of user attributes) like the following:

1) unlimited timeleft (access minutes), low bandwidth throttling value with 5-8MB total data transfer quota

2) like (1) above, but with a higher bandwidth throttling value

3) basically no limit account, but you might still want to turn on data transfer counter (but not quota) in order to log the actual usage.

When administrator creates a new user, just select the right Plan and the user will have the correct attributes. Note that you can also use our credit card module so that user can purchase the above Plan using credit card.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:33 pm    
Post subject:

And these all get presented to the user when they start up our service?

Also, is this sort of thing possible with the standard version?

Thanks,
Regis
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:39 pm    
Post subject:

If you use Shopping Cart with Plan, the user will be greeted by the buy page with different Plan items.

You need Advanced Edition due to features like Quota, individual Bandwidth Throttling. See http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/editions.html for details.

I recommend you to download our trial version to test drive FirstSpot. This is the best way to verify whether FirstSpot suits you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:24 pm    
Post subject:

So, to summarize, I can present the user with a page that says they have free access in a restricted manner (which is presented to everyone and customizable HTML-wise for our property) and then details the other plans available to them for a fee. Am I correct in this?

Thanks,
Regis
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:10 pm    
Post subject:

Okay, I understand more on your exact requirement. And yes, FirstSpot can do what you described.

Specifically, you need to take advantage self sign-up feature. The initial attributes for self sign-up users will be "free access in a restricted manner" which you can defined in a Plan and tied it to the self sign-up users.

You will then create several other Plans and tie them to the Shopping Carts, so that customer can purchase them if necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: