SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Combination Ethernet and Wireless Network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:34 am    
Post subject: Combination Ethernet and Wireless Network

I am looking to deploy FirstSpot server as a solution for wifi and ethernet access. Our planned network:

Wifi AP --> Netgear Switch --> FirstSpot passthrough server

Ethernet --> Same Netgear Switch --> FirstSpot passthrough server

My concern is not with the wifi as much as with the ethernet. Since FirstSpot is built with ability for "Client Isolation" on the wifi side, and we will have multiple users access internet via the same ethernet switch, will there be a problem where people can view someone elses computer from "My Network Places?"

If yes, will it help to secure each computer by setting up VLAN's for each port on the netgear switch?

If we set up VLAN's for each port, will this cause any adverse connection issues?

I want to ensure as much security and reliability for each customer as possible.

Thank you. Michelle.
michelle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:13 pm    
Post subject:

I think I've discovered the answer. It was there the whole time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With the PatronSoft server set for DHCP service and handling all network traffic, then any client whether wireless or ethernet will still be protected from snoops...

Please let me know.

Thank you. Michelle.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:03 am    
Post subject:

Yes, that is correct. FirstSpot doesn't distinguish between wireless and Ethernet, and Client Isolation will protect all traffic going through FirstSpot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:23 pm    
Post subject:

GREAT!!! Thank you very much! Michelle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: