SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

User suspension and re-activation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:04 pm    
Post subject: User suspension and re-activation

I want to be able to suspend a User's account automatically if it exceeds a download or upload quota, but I want the data transfer counter to be reset daily and any suspended account re-activated daily. i.e user1x exceeds the transfer quota so is automatically suspended (or reset to a low bandwidth throttling setting). Tomorrow, the data transfer counter is reset, and the suspension is removed, [b]all without any manual intervention on the part of the Administrator (me).[/b]
I am presently using the Standard edition but would be willing to upgrade to the Advanced edition if it gives me this capability. Is this scenario possible?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:31 am    
Post subject:

Definitely yes, you can take advantage of the Data Transfer Quota feature and the resetABW.exe utility (which is used to reset the individual quota setting daily).

To upgrade from v5 Standard to v5 Advanced, you can visit http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/order_form.html?radiobutton=9 to complete the transaction. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:43 pm    
Post subject:

Great! OK, just to be sure I understand correctly, once a user has been suspended for exceeding the bandwidth quota he will be automatically re-activated by resetting the bandwidth quota????? No manual intervention is required to do this???
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:59 pm    
Post subject:

Yes. Once the resetABW.exe is run, it will reset the current data transfer value to 0. In other words, the user account will be active again until it reaches the quota value again.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:42 pm    
Post subject: Quota reset Not working

Hi Alan,
This will not work for me. I have set the upload and download transfer quotas, and have set bandwidth throttling to global setting (which I have set to High) instead of suspension. That portion seems to work OK and the account shows "Restricted Account" in the Infobox when the quotas are exceeded.
BUT, when I run resetABW.exe from Task Scheduler or even directly via a command window, nothing changes. The account remains restricted, even if I use the box at the bottom of the User page (Reset data transfer counters of all users).

Any suggestions???
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:34 am    
Post subject:

First, make sure you copy the temporary Advanced Edition license key I sent you, and then restart FirstSpot (you can go to Configuration Manager -> About to double-check).

Try to simplify the test case first by using "Reset data transfer counters of all users" in the UI. Note that in v5, the client needs to re-login for this change to take into effect. We don't support "live update" for this user attribute scenario.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:58 pm    
Post subject: Darn!!!

OK, that's the problem.....no live update.
Here's what I'm trying to do, and maybe you can offer a suggestion as to how or if it can be done:
I have a fairly limited DSL connection at an RV park. The clients connect to the internet via Firstspot, and as you might expect, there are some who hog all the bandwidth by uploading or downloading large files etc. and slow the system to a crawl. The clients could be at the park for anywhere from 1 night to 6 months. I want to be able to limit the ability to crowd everyone else out and I was hoping that the Data Transfer quota would allow me to do that. I was going to use the Restricted account feature and then reset the Quota each night at midnight, and [u]perhaps even reset it every hour during the night to allow the few nightowls to do large transfers during the slack night hours.[/u]
It looks like all the above would work except the part about resetting every hour during the night. Do you have any suggestions on how I might be able to accomplish that or something similiar to that?

Thanks for your assistance.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:08 pm    
Post subject:

Is using Data Transfer Quota only (without Restricted Account) okay? The live update will work in this case.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:20 pm    
Post subject:

It might work, but I know I would be overwhelmed with complaints if I suspend the abusers completely. I was hoping to just slow them down so that they could still get email etc but not do any large transfers. I'll give your suggestion some thought and maybe I'll go that way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I notice that V6 is going to have load balancing with failover. If I have a second DSL connection, does this mean I can add another card to my Firstspot machine and connect to the 2 DSL connections for load balancing? If so, this may help alleviate many of my bandwidth issues, as I do have a second DSL connection available.
Crusher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:44 pm    
Post subject: Pricing

If I go from V5 standard to V5 advanced now, will I have to buy an upgrade to V6 advanced when it gets a final release stage?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:27 am    
Post subject:

Officially, you need to pay for US$698. But your case, just order 5STDADV-T (US$632) now and I will give v6 Advanced Edition right for free.

You can visit http://patronsoft.com/firstspot/order_form.html?radiobutton=9 to complete the purchase. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:19 pm    
Post subject:

OK, I'll definitely be ordering the upgrade, but I can't do it for about a week from now. Thanks Alan.
Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:55 pm    
Post subject: Still not working

Alan, you had suggested: "Try to simplify the test case first by using "Reset data transfer counters of all users" in the UI. Note that in v5, the client needs to re-login for this change to take into effect. We don't support "live update" for this user attribute scenario."
This manual method works, but as you say the user has to relog in. If I try to do this automatically by running the resetABW.exe from Task Scheduler or even directly via a command window, nothing changes not even if the user logs off and back on again.
If I can't get this automated reset working, there is no point in upgrading to the Advanced version.

Comments or suggestions, please! My license for the trial advanced version expires tomorrow and I still haven't got this working satisfactorily.

Murray
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:52 am    
Post subject:

For resetABW.exe to work, make sure you set Configuration Manager -> Users -> "When to reset data transfer counter:" (please use "Daily" and "Every 1 day" as a test. Also, set "The last time of reset data transfer" to a past day).

After you run resetABW.exe, the data transfer counter should reset to zero. Note that client needs to re-login if he is using Restricted Account attribute.

If you still have problem, please post your firstspot_resetABW_[timestamp].log under FirstSpot\log directory for further analysis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: