SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

DHCP Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kipcrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:53 am    
Post subject: DHCP Issues

All is working great now.
I am having some DHCP issues though.

Issue A:
Belkin Routers connected to a wireless bridge (may be other manufacturers, but has happened to two Belkins definitely).
They get a valid IP address and DNS settings of the FirstSpot server but the client's computers don't ever display the network. You can ping the FirstSpot server without difficulty.

Fixed if I assign a static IP to the Belkin (just on the belkin, not assigned or whitelisted in PatronSoft at all).

Issue B: Windows Vista Computers getting a 192. address that isn't renewing with restarts or /renew /release..

Fixed if I assign a static IP to the Vista computer (just on the computer, not assigned or whitelisted in PatronSoft at all)

Ideas?

Offloading is disabled on the NIC. Does offloading need to be disabled on the WAN side too? I currently do have it disabled, but not sure it needs to be...
dominic
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:20 am    
Post subject:

Issue A
1) Are those client computers behind the routers (i.e. client<-->Belkin<-->FirstSpot)?
2) What's meant by "client's computers don't ever display the network"? Can the client computers obtain IP through DHCP Server?
3) For the line "You can ping the FirstSpot server without difficulty", who is "You", the router or the clients?
4) What are the IPs of the router and the clients after you said "fixed"?

Issue B
5) Is the computer behind the router again?
6) Please execute the command "ipconfig /all" in Command Prompt of that Vista computer and place the result here.

You only need to disable offloading for the Visitor NIC and make sure to restart FirstSpot machine after that.
kipcrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 pm    
Post subject:

Issue A
1) Are those client computers behind the routers (i.e. client<-->Belkin<FirstSpot>belkin-->bridge-->FirstSpot
2) What's meant by "client's computers don't ever display the network"? Can the client computers obtain IP through DHCP Server? It receives an IP, gateway, and DNS, but if the client computer (ones behind the router) try to connect to a web browser, it times out every time.
3) For the line "You can ping the FirstSpot server without difficulty", who is "You", the router or the clients? The client computer behind the router is able to ping 10.20.7.1 without difficulty.
4) What are the IPs of the router and the clients after you said "fixed"? we're using 10.20.7.1 255.255.240.0 as our network. I already have 10.20.7.1-255 restricted from the DHCP server because our routers, APs, and other appliances are using those addresses. So if I set the belkin to 10.20.7.5 for instance, and then try to connect to the internet with a computer behind the router, it works fine (authentication and all).

Issue B
5) Is the computer behind the router again? Not behind a router.
6) Please execute the command "ipconfig /all" in Command Prompt of that Vista computer and place the result here. I don't have access to that computer at this time. I do know that it comes up with some bogus 192.168.1.X address...as if it didn't even communicate with our server. The crazy thing is, ipconfig /renew and restarting don't fix the problem. These are computers that were working and just randomly lose their IP and no longer obtain a new one.
dominic
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:47 pm    
Post subject:

Issue A
1-4) I guess what you're expressing is: client<-->Belkin<-->bridge<-->FirstSpot.
If so, since the clients and FirstSpot are two different network segments separated by the router, you need to enable the feature Multiple Network Segments in Advanced Edition. Refer to chapters 3 and 4 of firstspot_guide.pdf for details.

Issue B
6) Please try to obtain the output before moving on this issue.
kipcrist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:07 am    
Post subject:

I don't think it's a network segment issue...We're allowing customers to use wireless ethernet bridges to connect to a router so they can have more than one computer on the network at a time.

So Firstspot is only authenticating to the router, none of the PCs behind it. So of course the first client computer to access the internet behind the router has to authenticate but afterwards, all computers can use it....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: