SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Using Firstspot with a proxy server...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibraryIT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:46 pm    
Post subject: Using Firstspot with a proxy server...

I've been looking around for a product like Firstspot for sometime & was initially excited to find & be able to download a working version to test.

The issue I have is that our organisation (& many others), have web filtering/proxy software (in our case Webmarshal) & it was a real disappointment that Firstspot isn't configurable so it can be used with proxy software, if the http port is anything other than 80.

I have read the work around that discusses using ISA, but still feel that this is a REAL limitation of an otherwise excellent product.

At the very least, the product should allow 8080 as an option.

As this is a show stopper for us purchasing the software, could you let me know if there are any plans in the near future to offer this feature?

Thanks
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:17 am    
Post subject:

So is your web filtering software a transparent proxy server? In that case, FirstSpot should work with it without any changes. Note that in general FirstSpot acts like a router (instead of a proxy) after user login.

Please pass us more information regarding your filtering software.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:17 pm    
Post subject:

The filtering & proxy software is Webmarshal version 6

The configuration for wired clients is;

Wired Client (port 8080) => (port 8080) Webmarshal Proxy/Filter => Internet (port 80)

...so we would like to use the Firstspot software "ahead" of the existing proxy to allow us to filter our wireless clients content;

Wireless Client (port 80) => AP => Firstspot => (port 8080) Webmarshal Proxy/Filter => Internet (port 80)

Our existing wireless solution allows us to select the "source" internet port & server IP (which in our case is our Webmarshal server IP & port 8080).
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:22 am    
Post subject:

Is there should a non-proxy (e.g. Transparent Proxy) mode for WebMarshal? As far as I know, there is definitely one for the old 8e6.

Also, your client browser always need to configure proxy setting explicitly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: