SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Use FP3 with router/not 2 cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:54 pm    
Post subject: Use FP3 with router/not 2 cards

Hi,

I'm gonna help a friend to setup a Hotspot in his cafe', but am a bit puzzled over your information that you need 2 ethernet cards in the serving computer.

Is it not possible run the software by only connecting the Access point to a router ??

The setup I'm searching for is the following;

DSL modem---------->Efficient 3871 router with built in 8 port hub/switch---------->XP Pro server-------->
|
--------------->D-Link DWL-2100AP wireless access point----->A laptop computer AND WiFi clients

And being able to create new guest accounts on the laptop that controls the XP server.

Hope the above makes sense and hope for a workable solution.

Regards
Matt Petersen
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:10 am    
Post subject:

The reason that FirstSpot needs 2 network cards is that it really acts as a router. As a result, your setup won't work.

So your setup should be:

DSL modem -> Efficient 3871 router with built in 8 port hub/switch -> XP Pro server -> D-Link DWL-2100AP wireless access point -> A laptop computer AND WiFi clients

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:08 pm    
Post subject:

I understand how it should go together, but this is what I'm proposing to use with FS:

Satellite -> modem -> network card -> Normal PC with XP Pro -> another network card -> router.

This router then has multiple wired pc's connected to it in a normal lan - but i would also like to add a wireless router with a ton of APs strung out over a large area to it (think caravan park).

A) Is this possible (ie. a wireless router plugged into another router) with FS?

B) If so, which I would assume would be possible, how many AP's can I reliably use with the wireless router? (If I use 20-30 pc's on the wired lan, does this affect the amount of AP's on the wireless router?)

Any advice would be appreciated. From the support shown on this forum, I am prepared to give FS a go as it looks well suited to my application and well backed up.

Cheers.

Michael
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:47 am    
Post subject:

A) Yes. In this case if there is a router between FirstSpot and client, you need to take advantage of our "IP-based Session Handling" feature. Make sure you turn off NAT within your router. Refer to Chapter 4 (Scenario 3) of firstspot_guide.pdf for details.

B) This really depends on your router capacity, bandwidth and the power of your FirstSpot machine. This is certainly feasible, but you need to test it to confirm the sizing requirement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:08 pm    
Post subject:

Thanks for that. Will give it a crack. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: