SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

System Crashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadoza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:48 am    
Post subject: System Crashes

Dear Firstspot guys,

We are experiencing problems with the apache crashing, as well as dispatcherservice.exe. we have those services to restart automatically after a crash so the downtime is virtually unnoticable, except the customers have to re-login after a crash. I dont think that is a big deal, but some customers are getting frustrated when they take a 2 hour long test and when they click submit, it come back with page cannot be displayed. Then have to take the test over, which I can understand that frustration. Can I send you some logs?

Speaking of the logs... those things are HUGE files, how long should we keep a backup of the firstspot logs in the system?

Along with the sending of the logs, will you guys be able to tell why the users are not being automatically disconnected after the 240 minute limit we imposed on the system? No users are being logged off after that limit, they stay on until the system restarts at 3 am daily, so if they log on at 330 am when the system comes back up, they can stay online for 23.5 hours, so to speak. We do not want that because of the users that have the PCs on "autopilot" downloading all kinds of stuff and sucking up bandwidth.

Thanks in advance.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:07 am    
Post subject:

1) For Apache problem, the client shouldn't need to re-login.

2) If your dispatcherservice.exe unstable or utilization is high, maybe your Hotspot network has peer-to-peer/spyware/virus. You can use tool like Ethereal to double-check.

Try to set restricted_redirect=1 in config.ini ( see http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1402 ) to see whether this alleviate the situation.

3) Try to compress (e.g. on-the-fly NTFS or zip) the log files in FirstSpot\log\archive directory. The compression ratio should be quite high due to the log files pattern. Note that you might not want to on-the-fly compress the current log file (i.e. FirstSpot\log directory) as it might have some impact on the performance.

4) If the dispatchservice.exe crashes and it is restart manually, potentially it might create issue on "access minutes" usage. Again, try point 2 first and monitor the situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: