SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Logging onto network with PDA using Windows Mobile 5.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omega1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:51 am    
Post subject: Logging onto network with PDA using Windows Mobile 5.0

Hi,

Im having a small problem connecting to a Firstspot hotspot (which we run) using my PDA which runs on WIndows Mobile 5.0

I have configured the integrated Wi-Fi controller on the PDA so when it finds our hotspot it logs on and gets an IP address through DHCP.

The problem is that when I open Internet Explorer I dont get the logon page. I have since discovered that if I type in the exact logon page (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5788/login_form.php) I get the logon page, where I am able to logon no problem at all and then continue surfing the net.

While I understand that this may not be a Firstspot issue, I was wondering if you could shed any light on what may be the problem, or maybe there is another person that may help?

Many thanks in advance.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:25 am    
Post subject:

FirstSpot should work well with PocketPC.

First, make sure FirstSpot works correctly by connecting through the same AP using a regular PC.

It looks like your PDA does not obtain IP settings (in particular DNS) correctly. You might need to search the web on how to double-check your IP settings.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:12 am    
Post subject:

Hi Alan,

Firstly thanks for your reply.

The AP's are working fine, as all clients are able to connect OK with desktops/laptops (in particular the same one I am trying to connect to with my PDA).

With regards to obtaining IP's. I can confirm that when the WiFi is turned on on the PDA, the PDA logs onto the AP and obtains an IP through DHCP, but when Internet Explorer is launched, it displays a 'page not found' page rather than the hotspot logon page. It's only when I type in the exact URL (as described earlier) into Internet Explorer that I actually get the logon page and then I am able to logon onto the system and surf the Internet. To logon (after typing the exact URL) or to surf the Internet, I do not have to modify the DNS settings manually...

Any further ideas?

Many thanks in advance.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:53 am    
Post subject:

We re-test again using Windows Mobile 2005 (emulator) and still cannot reproduce your problem.

Several things to try:
1) After you launch PocketIE (and get the "page not found" error), try to access several valid web sites explicitly like yahoo.com and cnn.com to see whether you see the FirstSpot login page
2) also try to access patronsoft.com and see the response. You should be able to go to patronsoft.com directly without login as patronsoft.com is in the Exception Free Web sites list.
3) check out PDA proxy setting. Note that we don't support access by proxy.
4) you might also want to verify your PDA network settings by connecting WITHOUT FirstSpot. Note the steps you need to perform in order to connect to the network using PDA ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:11 am    
Post subject:

hi, in response to your suggestions:

1) no, i cannot see these sites without logging on

2) yes, i can see patronsoft.com straigt away without logging on

3) i cant find any proxy settings on the PDA

4) yes, i can log onto other 'non-firstspot' networks fine without making any changes to the settings on the PDA

i look forward to hearing your further comments and suggestions.

Thanks
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:21 am    
Post subject:

1) So can you see the FirstSpot login page when accessing yahoo.com or cnn.com? If not, what page do you see?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:37 am    
Post subject:

Hi Alan,

I can't seem to replicate this error again. At the moment it seems to be working fine, and after trying to log on using a different PDA (also using Windows Mobile 5.0) it also seems to be fine so I am putting the fault down to an incorrect setting on the original PDA.

Thank you for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: