SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Manual log file deletion (oops!) causing crashes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inglis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:20 pm    
Post subject: Manual log file deletion (oops!) causing crashes?

Dear PatronSoft representatives:

I am an I.T. admin with moderate experience in building and repairing medium-large scale networks. I have been called to a new site and while I am generally happy with your software, I do have some issues.

Two weeks ago, the man who is now my boss called me and explained several problems with one of his networks. After replacing one of the radios and reinstalling FirstSpot the network ran flawlessly for a week and a half. The network here averages around 20 users, 60 during prime time. The log file for the old installation of FirstSpot was 22 GBs. We have a cache server monitoring all network activity that we consider important, and have no desire to log DHCP server information.

After one and a half weeks without connection issues or crashes we decided to take a risk and manually delete the log files. The server has crashed every night since and requires a system reboot to bring back up.

My current thought process tells me that I should reinstall FirstSpot every other week to keep the log file small and to keep the software virtually untainted.

I am currently on site and am currently exploring the FirstSpot configuration utility. Hopefully we can find a resolution that doesn't involve constant reinstalls.

Thank you for your time.

Dave Inglis
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:20 am    
Post subject:

You should be, at the very least, able to delete or archive the current FirstSpot log (under FirstSpot\log directory) when FirstSpot is stopped.

Maybe your crash problem is not related to the log file deletion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:04 pm    
Post subject:

Alan:

Thank you for the reply. I shall pester you further should the need arise.

Dave Inglis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: