SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

can't access internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamroosh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:28 am    
Post subject: can't access internet

when i tryed to access any website from the client pc, the redirect page to UID and pass doesn't appear, but when i type 10.20.7.1:5788 i find it, then accepted the uid but redirected me to "page can't be displayed" , i trye to check this problem on 3 diffrent PCs on windows xp, please advice
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 am    
Post subject:

I suspect the client PC has problem with DNS request. Are you using FirstSpot DHCP server to obtain the IP for the client? You might want to use command nslookup (issue from the client side) to verify the DNS request.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:10 pm    
Post subject:

How is it possible to add a DNS record to FirstSpot so that instant keyword functionality is not lost? (My understanding based on the user guide is that using any other dns server will cause the instant keywords to no longer work.) It appears that FirstSpot recreates this file upon service restart which means just adding a line in the file will not work beyond the first reboot or service restart. :-(
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:43 am    
Post subject:

There are 2 ways:
1) Instead of changing the FirstSpot DNS server, you can change the DNS that FirstSpot DNS is pointing at. E.g.

Client -> FirstSpot -> your DNS server (change it here) -> ISP DNS

Note that FirstSpot DNS server acts as a DNS relay, and it will reflect all the changes you made in your DNS server.

2) Use the "post-startup batch file" feature. As FirstSpot will run this file at the end of the startup sequence, you can write a program that change the FirstSpot DNS config file. And yes, there is programming involved in this method.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:15 pm    
Post subject:

The only information I can find in the guide regardign the startup batch file is this:

Path & filename for post-startup batch file - Specify a batch file that FirstSpot will run as the last step of FirstSpot startup sequence. Usually used to change IP or Routing setting. The format should be “[drive]:\[path]\[filename]”

I can not seem to get FirstSpot to run a batchfile no matter what I do. I have tried different names, and different commands in the file itself, but I never see either a DOS window flash onscreen for a second, nor do I see any results from the commands in the file. I have tried running the batch file directly and it functions flawlessly. Perhaps if the manual were more informative I could figure out what to do.

Secondly, which file should I edit/append my DNS entries to? It would appear to be firstspot.org.zone. Will I then need to create a separate dnsentry.xxx.zone file or will firstspot handle everything from there (appending a DNS entry to the firstspot.org.zone file)?
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:19 am    
Post subject:

For the "post-startup batch file" feature, please note:
1) You need to supply full path of the batch file with extension. E.g. D:\Program Files\FirstSpot\test.cmd
2) You will not see a command window since it will execute in background
3) the current directory may not be the same as where the batch file is located, so make sure you specify full path if you want to manipulate a file within your batch file.
4) if the batch file is executed correctly, you will see the text "Batch File executed" in the log file firstspot_gw_srv_[timestamp].log under FirstSpot\log directory (after you start FirstSpot).

Regarding the FirstSpot DNS server, please check out the ISC BIND documentation. All the DNS related config files are in FirstSpot\dns\etc directory.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:56 am    
Post subject:

Thanks for the pointer on the log file indicating whether or not the batch file successfully ran or not. That told me what I needed to knwo and the bath file is running successfully now. :-)

On the ICS BIND documentation, that was a relatively large website with a lot of information that I do not have the knowledge to be able to sift through to find what I need. I just tinkered around until I found what worked. I started a new thread to continue discussing the DNS troubleshooting I am doing.

I am feeling pretty good about everything finally. Most of the hurdles we have been able to figure out or work around... Now I'm down to the last few. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: