SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Captive portal not working...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luongs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:15 pm    
Post subject: Captive portal not working...

Just set up a trial - I can ping external sites (such us www.novell.com) from wireless clients (which seems to indicate DNS, routing are working ok). However, when opening the Browser rediection (to the user login page) is not happening as expected, instead the "Connection is being Reset by the server" error is displayed. I have configured Firstspot for anonymous access, and has also added a group.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:40 am    
Post subject:

Maybe you encounter the offloading issue. See http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1086 for details.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:59 pm    
Post subject:

Thanks for the tip. It seems to work now after I disabled all offloading on the gateway's NIC. Strange thing is that it works now for a few laptops but NOT others. For the ones that don't work it says the redirected login page cannot be found, but going directly to Patronsoft.com is Ok. I checked the wireless nic on these laptops but no offloading parameters are found. Any ideas, thanks...

Sonny
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:45 pm    
Post subject:

Well, you need to disable offloading in the Private Network Interface of the FirstSpot machine, not the client PC.

Any pattern in the PCs that fails to work? Do the DNS requests work for those PCs (please use nslookup command to confirm)? Do they obtain IP from FirstSpot DHCP server correctly? Also, are they Vista-based?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:57 pm    
Post subject:

It is all working now, I found the configuration mistake I made. Thanks...

We really like the Anonymous login feature with Shared Secret (that allows for multiple logins) as it will lessen administration for visitors access. We intend to give our receptionist the ability to change the Shared Secret code who inturn is in the best position to give it to visitors.

However, we've also been asked to have a number of "fixed" accounts reserved for some member of staffs. FirstSpot doc seems to state that it is an either or (but not both) operating mode here, where Anonymous login cannot be mixed with Username/password mode. In Username/password mode, though, FirstSpot does NOT support multiple logins for each user, which means we'll need to manage one account for each visitor (and also the burden of keeping track who's logged in already). Do you see any way around this for us ?

Thanks again for your support.
Sonny
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:12 am    
Post subject:

Sorry, at the current moment you can either use Anonymous or Username/password mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: