SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Complete list of services and devices to disable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsgriffin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:48 am    
Post subject: Complete list of services and devices to disable?

I've been looking around the forum and trying to gather a complete list of any non-essential services, protocols, devices or anything that might help my server become more stable. Many services appear to not have FirstSpot dependent on them, but they could indirectly...sometimes.

For example, I didn't see in the documentation anywhere that QoS could cause problems but found that comment in a forum. I've also turned off automatic updating, because I don't want future updates from MS messing with the setup. Beyond the documentations short list of services to disable, could you recommend a more complete list of anything and everything that can be turned off.

Note: This computer is ONLY being used with FirstSpot. I don't need anything running except what I've been using to debug the system crashes.

THANKS!!
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:07 am    
Post subject:

Yes, both QoS and auto-update (we recommend manual update) should be disabled.

We don't have a complete list. But I can give you some guideline:
1) we only use Windows service "Routing and Remote Access"
2) don't disable "Remote Registry Service", as it will break "Routing and Remote Access"
3) you should disable "Messenger" (will be disabled by XP SP2 anyway)
4) and of course, I suggest you disable it one-by-one, and test FirstSpot before proceeding to disable another one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:57 am    
Post subject: That what I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks. I'm trying to avoid trial and error because I'm in a live production usage mode. Whenever I make a mistake, 10 to 20 people are disconnected from the internet. I was kinda hoping there were more known problem services, processes or something that could be blamed for stopping FirstSpot from running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: