SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Login Page Will Not Load Automatically

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jcarkner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:11 am    
Post subject: Login Page Will Not Load Automatically

First of all, this software is absolutely great, Ive had no real isues or problems at all. The only thing that I find interesting is that the login page will not automatically load when I type in a website before authenticating to the server. If I type in the Ip adress of the private network and the port number i get it, and if i type in the WAN ip adress i get it, but it just will not load automatically. Ive searched all the foums for the resolution, but cant find anything. Do you need to be wireless off a WAP for it to load automatically because Im trying to get it to work hard wired first, I havent tried if off a WAP yet, I kind of want it to work hard wired as well as wirelesly, i appriciate the help.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:41 am    
Post subject:

Wireless and wired should be the same. The easiest test is to ping FirstSpot Private IP (default 10.20.7.1). This will ensure you got the physical connection correctly.

Also, make sure the client PC uses FirstSpot DHCP server and there is no other DHCP server in the network.

I think you encounter the offloading problem, please perform the steps stated in http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1086

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:36 pm    
Post subject:

I have disabled all offloading to the private side NIC and public side NIC. I can successfully ping 10.20.7.1 from all clients, and if i type in the URL of the login page (http://10.20.7.1:5788) The page shows up and everything works great after that. But I still could not get the login page to load automatically after typing in a random URL.

The private side NIC im using is a 3com 905C-TX-M. Could there be issues with the NIC? Also, I saw in the readme that there is a registry setting you can change to disable offloading, should i do that too?

I have found out more about this problem as well. If I login after typing the login page URL, and then click 'Logout' in the infobox, but dont close the internet explorer page, then the login page loads automatically when i click on a link off that origional page, or if i type in a new URL, or even start a new page. But as soon as i close that origional page and type in a URL, it goas back to not loading anything. So its working after an origional authentication and logout If i keep the origional explorer page open. But if i just open an explorer page, it wont.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:29 pm    
Post subject:

The most important test is : can you access patronsoft.com from the client? (Again, see the above link)
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:31 pm    
Post subject:

And yes, you should change the registry setting since some network cards properties do not seem to function well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:12 pm    
Post subject:

I appriciate all the help. Ive figured out the problem. For some reason there was no default exception free website there, so i added patronsoft.com and firstspot.org. that did nothing, so then i did an ipconfig /all on one of the clients and realized that the DNS Ip addresses were not passing through the rras server so i added them to the exception free ip addresses and now it works great! Thanks for your help.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:23 pm    
Post subject:

So did you change the DNS setting (under DHCP category)?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:59 pm    
Post subject:

Yes I did, however somthing odd is now happening. When it's supposed to redirect you to the origional URL, it just brings you right back to the login page, now, your logged in and you can get to the internet, but it does not take you back to te origional URL. All offloading is off both on the NIC and in the registry, and the DNS is now working, there is no other DHCP server other than the Firstspot server on the private side of the network.
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:57 pm    
Post subject:

Please post your:
1) ipconfig/all for the client
2) ipconfig/all for the FirstSpot
3) config.ini file
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: