SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

FS sometimes becoming slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainProton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:11 am    
Post subject: FS sometimes becoming slow

Sometimes I experience the following problem: everything is running nice and fast for 12-24 hours, then the internet for all users behind FS gets quite slow. sometimes the internet is even "quite" for 5-10 seconds.

after a manual restart of firstspot in the webinterface (not of the server itself) everything works just fine again. Then after many hours the problem occurs again.

maybe you have some help...
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:15 am    
Post subject:

We definitely need more information.

Please try to distinguish between DNS and routing. Please issue the below command (after login to FirstSpot):

1) ping yahoo.com (this is for routing)
2) nslookup yahoo.com (this is for DNS request).

Try to issue the above commands in the client PC before and after the problem appears. Note the difference, also capture the output and post it here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:48 am    
Post subject:

ok, this morning it happened again.
so now I could analyse a little more intensive:

On a FS-usere's computer the internet is slow. Some site come up after some time. Sometimes there is a time out error. I can ping all local IPs and also all websites eg. ping www.google.com. This happens without timeout and delays. Just perfect.
But nslookup gives me a timeout in about 50 % of the cases that I tried.

The strange thing is: why can I ping www.yahoo.de etc. without problems, but the nslookup is timed out?

I went to the server that is running FS and made theese tests. Everything working perfect there. The issue only occures on users computers.

After restarting the Firstspot (only the software, not rebooting the server) everything is perfect again.

Should I enter the DNS Server adress of my ISP somewhere?
[/img]
alan
Forum facilitator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:16 am    
Post subject:

It looks like you have problem with your DNS (in particular your first DNS server entry, see the below link). Note that DNS request is cache, so your ping is fine (but nslookup is not since it will request the DNS server directly).

See http://www.patronsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7165#7165 for more information on how FirstSpot DNS server behaves.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 am    
Post subject:

Ok, this dns problem seems to be solved.

My FS Server is a client of a router. (the only client)
FS used the routers IP as primary dns server. That worked well, but sometimes issues occured. Now I have entered some of my ISP's DNS-IPs in the DNS settings of the Firstspot public network adapter.

so that solved this issue. But I still have another one. I will open another topic for thisone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FirstSpot Forum Index -> Pre-sales Support Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: